mill lacs fishing

• tbuaer66

going up to mill lacs wends. late afternoon,have a couple ideas on where I might try,but havent been up there ice fishing before.Where would you all try?I took the time to gps the very tip of Indian point this fall,has anyone heard anything about this area?Love to hear any tips or pointers on where to go out,I am bring a flip over shack and a 4 wheeler to pull out with.What kind of minnows should I get?Thanks for any help!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Well you’re on the right track here. I think to start, tommorow, go out and get yourself a map. I guess If you don’t fish milly that often a hotspots map would be fine. Then with a map with a few gps points you can navigate a little better and have more options open to you in terms of areas and tactics. Indian point that you mentioned is much more complicated than some think therefore the map is wise choice. One of the more important aspects of fishing a lake that is new or farely new to you is how you approach this new lake. You’re going out searching for fish instead of simply going to “the spot”. You say you’re bringing a one man and a wheeler,…which is a prime scouting rig. Go ahead and start out at indian point and search. This is where being mobile comes to play. Set yourself up with a jigging spoon (glow devil if you will) and tip it with a crappie through the lips. You now have the ultimate set up. The spoon will not only catch you fish but allow you to move around and move quickly. Say you find a few fish,…. Set up a tip up with a shiner. But most importantly don’t be one of those guys sitting in the shack wondering if their bobber is going to sink. Get out and move! Indian point holds opportunity but so does the next spot. Try a few flats. You sound set up correctly and determined, get out there and be confident in your tactics. Good fishin

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Just be careful wondering around by Indian Point the ice can go from thick to thin in a hurry with the water washing over the reef.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

For the record!! there are more vehicles that go through the ice around Indian Point than any other area on the lake. Look out for thin ice on the eastside of the point and also all around Rainbow Island……..My neighbor drove his snowmoblie into open water in mid-January one year!!

tbuaer66

well,sure dont sound like I wanna mess around out at Indian point.Other spots ive fished at are on the south end,mar mar on the north end(i think thats the name)and caught a nice 261/2 inch walleye at agate rock reef on the notheast side,from Bobbers report it sounds like i should head out to the mud flats,but not sure which one to try get to.Is the trails going out to some of the mud flats?or do you just punch one into the gps and head staight out to it from your nearest access?Are you going out from Hunters point Bobber?

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I live just north of Hunters, you can get to the mud from most areas. You just need to be carfull for cracks and pressure ridges. What I’m hearing is the mud is going! just like last year!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.