Polk Co. WI ice conditions

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Hey all,
    Just a quick report on the ice conditions I seen this past weekend on Big Blake Lake and Big Round, both in Polk county WI.
    Big Blake is between 6-8 inches, clear, but 10-12 inches of snow on top. It was tough pulling the Fish Trap the 1/2 mile or so across the lake by hand; I’m getting too old for that. Many people driving 4-wheelers on it, some towing large shacks, but no vechicles yet.

Big Round is a different story; The ice is a solid 12 inches, less snow than Blake and clear. I drove the 3/4 ton Chevy on it all over the north end. There were a few other guys out with full sized trucks and even SUV’s.
    These are just my observations; take care and be careful.

Don

modauger
    West Central Wisconsin

Any information on bone lake? Just across the road from big round, but quite a bit larger. Any information would be very much appreciated.

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

No sorry, I asked some of the locals at one of the watering holes but they’re a tight lipped bunch up there. Nobody seemed to know anything; kinda’ like trying to find a witness to a crime in Brooklyn.
    I am also interested in the ice on Bone; I hear the perch bite can be pretty exciting, if you hear anything, drop me a message.
    Don

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

I was up at bone 2 weekends ago on the South end of the lake. Had 5 inches of good ice. Perch were hammering, but not much size yet. I did manage about 12 10-11 inchers, but that was picking thru about 110 fish. Not sure what the snow has done to the ice, but I will be up there again next weekend.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.