12/18/05 Small lake

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Wats, JP Mason, and myself hit a small lake today. I do not want to give away the name. For the lakes size, there is plenty presure as is.
    The first spot we hit is known by all the locals. The bite was slow so we picked up and moved to an area I do not see get fished heavy. Still slow so, I put on my fish sniffer and went to drilling holes I found a hump that comes up to 5fow. We fished the very edge dropping to 10fow. Bang, fish on
    We found crappies some nice perch and average gills. Except the pig Wats found first thing in the mornin’. This was a true pig gill Wats
    I was taking my fish on a lil cecil, purpel/white. I’m sure the others will fill you in with what was working for them. They are still out there
    I had to come home so I can save a marriage Thats life, find em and have to go

Good luck fishing people

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This is a nice crappie. JP and Wats I’m sure stuck some more nice ones.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

A couple nice bonus perch

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

My bad This post should be in the Wisconsin ice forum I haven’t even had a drink yet

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Bret, you should have stayed 10 more minutes As soon as you left I nailed 3 more bruiser gills
    Anyway, thanks again Bret for inviting me to another great fishing hole We started off the day in a brisk -5 degrees with a little wind. We didn’t have to walk far to get to the first spot, so that was nice Bret and Jim got us some holes drilled and we commenced to fish. We all got a few fish in thefirst spot, but it quickly died off. The second spot had plenty of fish, but they just wouldn’t cooperate very well Like Bret said he put on his fish sniffer and next thing I know, he is in the middle of nowhere drilling holes. We all headed out to the last spot and man was there some nice biters in this area I caught most of my fish on a forage minnow tipped with a waxie. It seemed to take a little coaxing to get the fish in the area, but once there they were willing to take a bait. This was a great weekend on the ice for me

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Biggest gill and crappie

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

And here is what I brought home today. After this batch, I am back to catch and release for awhile. I hate filleting fish

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i wish i would have followed you guys. we were at stoddard and it was S-L-O-W! I caught maybe 10 in about 3 hours so not good. we were not fishing in the same spot as yesterday and i am sort of regretting that we did not fish there. If it wasn’t so darn cold, i probably would have been on the move much more, but with the time we had, it was better to stay put- but mostly, stay warm. We moved a ways and we finally got onto a little more steady bite but they were light and they were not taking the bait. I downsized and caught a few more towards the end. Only two that i would have even thought about keeping

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

I had another chance to spend a day with Bret and Wats. Enjoyed it again as always. I would try and tell you what I used today, but it is easier to say “Everything I had” I was falling behind Bret and Wats and had to stay later than either of them. I ended up with a mixed bucket of nice fish. I took home 17 total and we had them for supper.

The fishing slowed down aroung 3:00 this afternoon and I had to work very hard to get the last one. Well, after I got it to the hole, I could see why I couldn’t mark any more fish. It was a 31 inch Northern and took about 15 minutes to land. The ice was clear and everytime I bent down to scoop at him, he would head straight to the bottom. Sure could have used a hand with this Bret.

Things went pretty well until I got this pig out of the hole. With the water on top of the ice, as soon as I go the pig on the ice it went NUTS. Well, All is Well that Ends Well.

Thanks again for the great day, and I hope to do it again.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

UNREAL
    Man, I missed out on watching that rodeo, I might even have given you a hand That would have been awesome to see on that clear ice That was on 2# test? Good job on taking that critter home with you It was a good time fishing with you as well today Nice looking batch of gills as well

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Way to go Mr. Mason
    I wish I could have been there for that also Let me know when the vedio comes out, it has to be a hoot to watch

scottsteil
    Central MN

Nice fish guys, those are some impressive fish

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Thanks to who ever moved this post for me

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I think I know who did
    Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.