Lake McBride, Iowa Ice

• barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

I was out on Lake McBride at 6am this morning. The Main Boat Ramp between the Boat Rental has Ice thickness from 4 inches or thicker. Another angler reported thickness about the same close to the power lines and around the point.

The Blue Gills were on a feeding frenzy this morning but the sizes were small 6″ or under. I had no luck finding the crappies

I was over by the causway area and the boat ramp over there had thickness above the same, but no fish were caught since I forgot to fill the Ice Auger up with gas.

I hope to head over to Palo later today for a Ice report.

Barbra

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Some spots are unsafe on macbride yet, especially where the channel runs through on the south arm. I have been getting the itch to go their and catch some eyes, but I don’t think it is quite safe yet… Have you heard of anybody catching crappies or walleyes? I caught a few nice crappies on the pallet beds near the park, but not a ton.
    Thanks

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

I hadn’t really heard from anyone yet fishing Mcbride. I’m hoping to hear from others that are having luck out there any other reports on ice conditions.

Barbra

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

We saw allot more people out on the Ice this afternoon
    (2pm to 4:30pm). We heard most people we’re catching Blue Gills. A few caught Crappies but they we’re reported as small.

Barb

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

I found 6 Smaller Crappies this morning straight out from the main boat ramps. I was using a Swedish Pimple with a green glow and a white glow smaller hook with waxies and a few minnows. They were active from 7 am to 9am then the Blue gills took over till 1pm.

The blue gills are still on a feeding frenzy!!

The Ice thickness is about 7″ to 8″ in this area directly in front of the main boat ramp and towards the beach.

Happy Fishing….

Barbra

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

say Barb, long time, no see…
    Have you graduated to 2lb test line yet?
    Also are you watching your line and tip for ANY movement what so ever.
    Glowing up your lures helps too… like at 4:00 AM…
    Now do you remember me, the one with the extra Vex?
    I hav’nt been out this yr yet since I’ve been moving to Hiawatha.

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Hey John, Yeap moved up to the 2lb line (LOL).

I fished again in front of the main Boat Ramp area to find just 1 Crappie and 1 bass and about 20 gills. We had a camera on the ice and saw lot’s of crappies around the brush pile, however they just weren’t biting.

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

There’s Still Ice in front of the main docks at 6 inches. The bite was slow 12/30/05 6am to 9am.

They’re were guys fishing by the power lines area though no ice thickness to report.

You’ve heard the suggestions: “Let’s Be Careful out there”

Barbra

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Also by now with the rain & all I doubt the ice has gotten any better or
    safer for that matter. Guess I’ll work this week end for more toys
    See ya on the ice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.