Altoona Ice Extravaganza

• bigpike

Altoona has been treating me real good the last week topped of with todays 50 fish in about 4 hours of fishing, I have been hitting the deep cribs north of the public fishing dock and been doing well with jigs and waxies. I have been locating the crib and then drilling off of it until I am just to the point were I cant pick it up on my locater, then start jigging, if the action dosen’t heat up soon move a little. This has worked very well for Bluegills, Crappie and an occasional Perch. The best bite seems to be mid afternoon with action slowing down towards dark but size on the increase for the patient jigger, I generally havent fished it at all in the morning though. It seems this lake dies when the guy’s start to violate the ice with there trucks, with 7 inches of ice and another cold snap coming soon that won’t be long, so get out and hit the hard water for some tastie fish…..

bigpike

Check that, the cribs are west on the public pier just look for the guy’s and shacks

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

It`s been a few years since I ice fished Altoona. Used to be red worms were the go to bait back then. When nothing else worked reds allways did. Hard part was finding them the red worms in winter..

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

I have been fishing is the far east bay there is a bout 9 inchs there around 3:45 is when the action heats up its only about 5 feet deep there but you can catch some good bluegills and perch a carrpie few and far between. My friends and i have been pulling out some out stand perch some at the 13 to 14 inch range every time we go out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.