Mille Lacs ice up date 12-13-05

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

The ice depth in the areas on the eastside that I’ve been fishing is now 11 inches. The ice thickness has been increasing at almost an inch a day. The ice pushed up the break off the point with the increase in temperature. I plan to get out this am and spend some time with the ice chisel. Most fisherman have been using the Hunters Point crossing out in the main lake. Need one closer to shore/home…We have 3-6 inches of snow in the forecast…..

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

i have been hearing that the eyes’ are pretty hot right now but havent found them my self. but let me tell you what the northerns are ON FIRE. we have 2 houses in the hole we fish,and a friends has one and we have sold a couple road passes to some people fishing northerns. so far this ice fishing season out of the hole we have gotten 26 northerns including a 38″ 15lb,37″ 13lb,a bunch of 30 inchers, some 33 inchers and last night my dad got a 39.25″ 19lb. all fish have been returned back to the water in full health. good luck everyone

wyatt

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Are you guys jigging for these pike or catching them on tip-ups?

Big pike thru little holes in the ice is a hoot. Thanks for the report.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

how would you know river rat?? Just funing about.
    James is so good on the pond he just looks down the hole and the fish come right up it,,,, like the freakin’ pied piper!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Actually the river has some of the best big pike fishing in the state! Open water and through the ice. This summer we had some of the craziest pike fishing I’ve ever seen…. we stumbled on one spot this summer where the big pike congregate during the hot summer months. Imagine DOZENS of pike over 30″ per day (up to 41 inches) for 3 – 4 anglers.

Once upon a time I used to go do the tip-up thingie on the backwaters around here in the winter. Now that time goes to developing new features for the website… but I can still remember a lot of good times spent chasing flags (and watching Chris Tuckner bleed a little…lol).

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

Quote:

Are you guys jigging for these pike or catching them on tip-ups?

Big pike thru little holes in the ice is a hoot. Thanks for the report.

we are catching them on a rod and reel with suckers or big shiners. not really big suckers though. they dont seem to want the huge bait.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.