For those windy days on the pond:

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

why didnt i think of that.. all those hours when the bite is slow

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Kooty~

Save yourself $25 and bring along a chunk of 2×2 and put some slush on top of it.Then you would have almost enough for one of those $33 12 packs

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

So,

the tension on the rope pushes the spikes out into the sides of the hole ?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

What happens when your 2×2 freezes in?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Pull real hard or chisel it out…You dont have to bury it very deep…Common sense would apply

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Quote:

Common sense would apply

isn’t this IDA though??

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Common sense would tell me not to freeze in a 2×2

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

common sense has told me a lot of things, I just never listend

I have to find out for myself most the time…..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Me too,, thats why I had to ask..

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Could have used 2 of those on Saturday! One for each back corner.

-J.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Any one know if these will work in a 10 inch hole?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I wondered that myself Chris. What the heck is standardized ice hole…6..8..10 inch??

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Knowing the retial world. The guy wh designed these probably doesn’t ice fish. He went out to his grand fauthers shed, found an old 4inch hand auger and designed a mold. Now he’s making $$$$. And because the package is open and we’ve already had it on the ice we can’t take it back.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Could have used 2 of those on Saturday! One for each back corner.
    -J.

I can totally see myself going out for a restroom break or tip-up and forgeting the tie down. Whoops, trip and smack the ice. Ya, that sounds like me!

sledhead
    MN Rosemount

why not just bring a hammer and a metal spike along they just try to steal every penny you have

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I bought a pair of those last year. It was one of those “A guy can’t ever have too much gear ” type deals. That and I got tired of the auger and 2×2 system.

Anyways , they are pretty slick little units. The wings ( for lack of a better word ) fold out and each have a pointed bolt that sticks out of each wing. The pointed bolts ( literaly ) are threaded so the anchors can be adjusted to the size hole your using. I use an 8″ hole and these things hold no problem. I don’t know about a 10″ hole but I suspect they would work with them too ? Dunno for sure.
    It’s best to keep a taught line ( the line that runs from the anchor to your portable ) but is’nt totaly neccesary as once you get your anchors set and you adjust the pointed bolt deals they pretty much stick into the side of your hole. The rope from the anchor is adjustable so keeping the line tight is’nt that big a deal.
    IMO , it’s best to keep the line tight. To leave the line slack would defeat the purpose I would think.
    Anyhow , just don’t forget the lines are there in case the call of nature comes and you head out back of the portable to take care of business = the lines will trip you in a heartbeat. Yes , I speak from experience.

When your done fishin , you just push them down a little , the wings fold in and release from the side of the hole and your good to go.

They also double as ice picks in case you fall through the ice. You can wear them around your neck if you want.

One draw back would be during early ice. I would think that you would need 5″ minimim to get these things to work properly and even then you would run the risk of having them feeze in should water get into the anchor hole. Anyone who has used an auger for an anchor and had it freeze in knows what I’m talking about there.

They are a little expensive but they take up little room ( you can carry them in your coat pocket ) and like I said can be used as ice pics to pull yourself out should you fall through the ice.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.