12/11/05 Jumbo Gills At stoddard

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Pulled it off again!
    Headed down to stoddard today after church with casey goode. We were looking to rip some nice fish like my dad and i did yesterday. We came to our spot, poked our holes and started fishing. I caught a bass not far under the ice right away on a finesse plastic from custom jigs & spins, but otherwise, casey had a couple small bass and i had a few teeny gills along with a few more teeny bass. We decided to start hopping holes until we started getting into them. I caught a few out of a hole, but again only small ones. I moved to one more hole and heard a guy that was angry because he was out of bait. While he and his buddy were packing up, he came over and told me to fish the hole he was in. He showed me his bag of monster gills and a dandy perch and i was convinced. Casey and I moved the shanty up on the holes and started fishing. We couldn’t get a bite for quite some time, so i started experimenting with the depth. Finally, i found the real deal. It was about 3 feet under the ice, and probably about half way to the bottom as we were in about 5-1/2 fow. I could barely see the lil mic but i could just make out the outline as it disapeared. I set the hook and caught a fish. Action was still spotty at this point, and not a lot of good fish. By 3:00 we only had 3 or 4 decent fish on the ice. by 3:30, the action sprung onto an extreme bite for me and i was catching a decent gill on almost every drop. I tossed about 10-15 on the ice and then casey started getting on top of some bigger gills as well. From about 4 till dark, it was me and casey both, catching monster gill after another with doubles and some monster fish. I caught a nice 9-1/4 incher but casey took home the big fish honors for the day with a 9-3/4 incher. it was a great day, we caugth at least 80 all together, maybe some more. My dad and little sister came out for the last hour of action and they put 4 nice gills on the ice as well. My sister was proud of her 2 keeper gills, and she said she also caught 4 or so more smaller onces. Anyway, casey and i took home 26 gills between the two of us and My dad and lil sis contributed 4 more. Like i said, about 22 of the 26 keepers we caught were caught between 3:30 and 4:30 so it definately heated up.
    Check out some of the pics!

PS…Bret, i was looking for ya, but i didnt see you. I am sure there were lots of other guys from IDA out as well….Casey and i were in the blue clam 2000…hard to miss us as we were probably the only kids with that many fish on the ice. There were some other old timers with lots of fish as well..
    Great day out..Can’t wait till next weekend!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

are mess of half frozen gills on the ice

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

here are some of the best gills of the day. My lil sister is holding a decent gill and in casey’s left hand, you will see the 9-3/4 incher. I am holding my 9-1/4 incher along with another dandy..look closely, you might catch a glimps of some of the other fish in the background waiting for the knife

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

cade,
    your doing great out there on the hard water, sounds like stoddard is pretty hot right now. ive slowly been decreasing my fish each time out… frist time i had 30, next i had 7 and today i had none… i gotta change something quick before wensday
    -Aaron

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You young guns need to slow down, it’s hard for us older folks to keep up Seriously, great job and some nice looking fish It’s also cool to see you have the family out there sharing the fun times You can really see your little sister is proud, look at her smile

fishing4life
    Lacrosse,WI

Cade i had a blast today. Most fun i had in a while. Got to get out again. Those were some big gills today. i wish we could have got sum perch but i am just peachy with all those monster gills. i mean we caught over 60. I am speachless. Well i hope you had your fun for the day cuase i sure did. Thank for inviting me again. Got to do it again.
    Thank Casey

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thanks guys…anytime casey- we’ll be out plenty this year…maybe this week dawg!lol…Forgot to mention as well that there was 6″ about where we were and there was an ATV w/ a trailer that had gone all the way out Not sure if it is 6″ all the way out so thats not the best plan i would say! There was an air boat as well..sorry i missed ya Wats, i wish i would have known that so many IDA’ers were out today!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Way to go Cade. You are a certainly a fishin machine. Enjoy the reports, keep em comin.
    Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Boy you guys are making me HUNGRY!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.