LED lighting for portables/permanents

• holeone05

4″ (54) LED truck back up light.. runs 2 full days on a 12V 7.0 amp battery…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome. Great to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want. Thanks for the info and pic.
    Thanks, Bill

phishmn

Where would one pick a light like that up? How much? Does it offer more light than the rope lights? Thanks for the info. The picture is helpful also.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I am wondering where you buy them too..

I have no doubt the fish will have to put the sunglasses on with that thing lit. I have used the automotive type led(tail light) lights before and they are very bright.. way brighter than standard tail lights, or backing lights.

I have been meaning to stop at a junk yard to dig up a conversion van dome light(older one) that takes back up type bulbs (1156) so I could put an led bulb in it to use, but that light you have there looks way more practical for a portable.

Many auto parts stores carry LED replacement bulbs.. great for the truck and trailer(super low amperage draw)and they are bright.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Truck stops are good places for LED bulbs, I know my buddy went to Boyer trucks in Shakopee/Savage and got a bunch of stuff for cheaper than anywhere he could find.

holeone05

Boyer does “NOT” carry the white back up LED.

Posted this light elswhere a week ago about and there has been a severe rush everywhere to find them in the 4″ size or other. E-Bay has started to supply the demand but they fly minutes upon the auction starting.

Truckstops are hit and miss most don’t carry the white back ups and even Dealers dont stock much LED version. Dealers get $70 for my (54) led 5mm bulb with a flange, groumet & plug. Truck stops you may find the light for half that cost if you are lucky.
    I have the one posted and (2) 2.5″ X 6.5″ oval (45) comming from E-bay. You can find sets of (2) for the $70 on E-bay if your lucky. Like I said the rush for these things has been fun to watch.
    They throw great clean light and beat “rope” lights and the hassle to death !! Rugged DOT grade and sealed and you can mount them in 5 minutes anyway or anywhere you want.

Superbrights led has them in a (30) led version but for great light you would need (2) of them. ($30 each I think)

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Thats way too rich for my blood for a portable light! I will go back to the junk yard/auto parts store ideas.

1156 (2 pack) of LED bulbs are about $20 and will provide plenty of light for my 5×8 portable. I will make a light fixture out of plexiglass and an automotive bulb outlet before I pay $70 for a light.

I seen replacement lenses for mag lights complete with led bulbs for $3 each recently.. I know where theres a whole rack of them.. soder a resistor inline and *poof*.. instant wide angle(bright) light..

THe things we do when we have more time than money.

Thanks for the info on the back up lights!

holeone05

Dave:
    Your 1156 idea is good as well. I just wanted (1) large amount of leds in one fixture, easy install, and limited wiring all over. But you’ll be pushing $60 doing two of them as well, plus your time.
    The price of $70 was a dealer price which is about $20 out of line. It was not a happy moment to drop $70 but it becomes personal choice and availability.
    E-bay you can get (2) for that $$$ and yours is free after selling the second.
    With Zero hassle of the light itself, great light, 100,000 plus burn hours, and power consumption 1/10 that of regular bulbs the $70 even paid itself over already. No big batteries, install or production time & costs,no sensitive hot burning lights, and two full days of running was a no brainer for me.
    If I had found the e-bay outlet first I would never have paid $70 but then I have no time or parts involved either.
    Others are reeping the benifit of my find and the cost savings on e-bay. The seller e-mailed me last night with thanks for the (12) sets he has sold in a few days time.
    I’ll sell the two I have comming, that will pay for the one I have.

Good luck !!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.