Iowa ice

• JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I hope everyone uses EXTREME caution this year the ice is not forming normally the DNR and local news stations are giving multible warnings you can have 5in and 50ft one way or another 2in we have had many close calls and one drowning in Iowa right now I would love to make a early ice feild report but am holding off just because I do not anglers to think it safe.There is some fishing going on if it was me I would were floatation and not go alone

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

I had to make a trip down to Lansing so I went down one side of the river and up the other. About 50 people were out at Stoddard, I didn’t stop at Green Lake, a few on the dredge hole on the dike and several on Charles City Bay and several must have walked down to The Chain of Lakes, a bunch on Shore Slough, didn’t see anybody out on the Beck or Zoll, Visigers (ckSpelling)had a few, and quite a bunch on Lawrence Lake as well as on Lauderdale. I didn’t stop but there must be good ice. Guess we’ll check the paper tomorrow that should tell us if anyone went in. Hopefully not.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Hey GF,
    I was one of those 50 people. Action was fast and furious. We caught probably 65-70 in about 3 hours and kept 16 8+ inchers for the pan. We could have kept an easy 2 man limit if we would have factored in all the 7 inchers that we let go. We were after the pigs today. Besides, nobody in my family eats fish except for me. here is the biggest, a 9-1/2 incher that was about 2 inches thick and 5 inches wide!

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

WOW! Now thats what I like to see! Congrats on your sucess

JVD42
    Algona, IA

Fished Silver L (Palo Alto Co., near Aryshire) on sunday. Ice had water on it, but was generally 5″ thick. Caught a couple dink perch (6″). So, packed up and headed to 5 island at emmetsburg. Ice was real iffy… Could be on 6″ and walk over to the ice with no snow on it and find your self on only 2″. I would be real careful in those conditions. Of course now, we have more snow covering that up…. Maybe I’ll just get ready for late season muzzleloader!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I tend to find myself thinking that when I see ice with no snow that there must be a spring under it which will melt the snow and cause much ”thinner” ice. And when you see no holes drilled there you know a person better stay away from that area. Very dangerous area.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.