Mille Lacs ice report 12-7-05

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Eastside Hunters Point/Picard Point area

I finally spent some time on the ice this morning! After the wind and cold temperatures this first part of the week. I found the ice to be from over 6 inches to just under 8 in the areas around the reef that I want to fish this afternoon/evening.

I ran into Nate from Hunters on the ice this morning. He mentioned that while staking out roads today they have found 5-8 inches out to the 2 mile reef area. There is a crack that runs from Picard Point to the west-so.west direction. This is a weird direction for a crack in this area…..most run north and south along the eastside shoreline. I remember a number of years ago we had one that ran from Liberty Beach west all the way past 3 mile reef!

Be carefull on the ice and always check with your resort prior to going on the ice. This allows you to know the most current ice conditions.

I’ll post some fishing info as soon as I wet a line!!!

TJB
    Cottage Grove, MN.

AWESOME post Bobber.
    Thank you for the info and good luck fishing!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Thanks for the report Bobber.

Any snow on the ice?

moderator 69
    Tofte, MN

I heard there was a small amount of snow???

Bob Carlson

I just came off the lake………two smaller walleye and half dozen perch. The lake has just a little snow here and there…..alot of bare ice! very slippery. Some cracks that were moving around today with the warm-up in temperatures.

jldii

12-9-05

Just talked to Kevin McQuoid and got a report from Twin Bay area. Very solid 8″ of ice out past Hawkbill to the crack, and about 6″ around the crack. If conditions continue to be good for making ice, smaller houses will be going on the Bay this weekend, and larger houses (8×16 and bigger) will go out next weekend, possibly all the way out depending if the ice stabalizes enough to mend the crack or put in the bridge.

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

over here in wahkon bay we have a foot of ice out just about to mille lacs island then a very solid 8-9 inches past that. we pulled a very small privite house out today and taking some small houses this weekend. good luck everyone but be very careful

wyatt

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Thanks for the reports guys sounds like the lake is shaping up nicely but I hope we get some banking snow!!

jldii

The forcast is saying we should get some measurable snow next week. Hopefully we get enough ice built up in time for the big houses to get out before the snow flies.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Was up fighting the wind today. Just today the ridges heaved. It was a real mess getting around today on the west side. Open water all over the place. The breakers are fresh so be careful crossing them for the next week or so.

Bob Carlson

Yesterday, was a day to stay off the ice! I sure did…..with the warm up of temperatures the lake was going to expand. The westside had open breaks and we had heaves on the eastside. The afternoon wind was also a big factor! It was like a blizzard at times here on the eastside.

Matt, you catch any fish?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Managed a 17 and a 19.5, and a 26 with a belly. I wish I got a picture of that pig. I was up for the afternoon and it was so bad I only fished for an hour and a half. The fish were picky at noon and I couldn’t bear it till dark. Just to give you an idea how windy it was. I had my polar sport attached to my four wheeler, the wind actualy blew my house and four wheeler across the ice. Thank god there was some snow on the ice or I would have been wet. I’ve never been on milly when its been that bad.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I’ve never been on milly when its been that bad.

Ditto!

Wow was it windy. Ice was popping and booming all afternoon. Had a crack open up about 200 yards away. Fortunatley it was not between us and shore. Fishing was slow for us. 2 eyes, 2 perch and a pout.

I need to seriously look at getting some ice anchors for the Otter!

-J.

Bob Carlson

Hey Jon, I’m glad you made it off the lake ok….after you called me I kept thinking about you in that wind! Hook and I looked at the weather on the net Friday nite and knew it was going to be blowing in the PM. So we decided to stay on shore and fish today.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Well I made up for yesterday. Went out at 330 today for the evening bite. It was great. sun shine, no wind 20 dgrees. And managed two limits of fish. Best time up there so far this year. Not sure how any we got but in the mix was 24, 26,and a chubby 29. I wish I got pics of the hog but for some reason I can’t ever remember to grab the camera out of the glove box! Heres the line up of the keepers

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

great job!!

I knew I should of stayed for one more day. Oh well next time….

bigpike

You guys are nuts, expansion cracks, ice poppin, wind howlin, hoping you dont get stuck on the wrong side. I’ll say a prayer for you tonight but please keep it safe its only fish….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.