Winona Area Ice

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I was out yesterday in a few spots and found the ice to be between 4-5 inches thick. Caught a few keeper Gills in about 3 hours. Not fast action but steady. Still be careful the moving water areas can still be tricky. If you have a spud bar use that to test first.

Also a shack is a near must, with a heater if possible cause, at -5 degrees, DANG is it COLD out there!

VikeFan

Where were you out in the Winona area? I am heading home next week, and I am thinking I will get there just when the airport backwaters/Bartlett Lake will be in good shape. It takes those about a week longer to be safe for walking on than the typical shallow backwaters.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I was not in the Airport lake yet. They do take a bit longer but should be ready by then. I was around the river road, MN city Boat houses, and those waters.
    Again, most were OK but be sure to be safe, there can be more current in those areas than a person thinks!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Anybody on Lake Winona yet?

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I looked today and saw no-one yet. I have to think that it is good in most spots. Just not by the bubbler, as always. If I see somthing I will let you know.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Anybody on Lake Winona yet?

I noticed 1 person out on the ice on Lake Winona this morning as I was driving by.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

A quick note on Airport/bartlet’s lake. The ice is about 3″or a bit more. Do-able but still be a bit careful May not want to stand in big groups.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Had a buddy on Lake Winona on Saturday Dec. 10. Still a bit if’ee acording to him. AHe had several spots just over 2″. He and I were a bit suprised.
    At this point, as always be Careful!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the info.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Anyone hit Airport/Bartlets over the weekend?
    How about other spots in the area?
    How was the ice?

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Hit bartlets last Thursday pan fish were small and tip ups were dead. Ice was around 3.5-4.

VikeFan

Quote:

Hit bartlets last Thursday pan fish were small and tip ups were dead. Ice was around 3.5-4.

Thanks for the report! I am heading up to Minnesota tomorrow, and hope to be out behind the airport, or sitting on Lawrence, Thursday and Friday.

What time of day were you out? My experience behind the airport is that the tip-up action is best early in the morning, slows down by noon, and goes dead after that. The winter panfish bite at Bartlett usually keeps going all day, although it tends to slow down by noon as well before picking up towards four o’clock or so. Of course, there are just bad days out there like there are anywhere else–I had a few of those out there too.

VikeFan

I spent most of today on Bartlett–there is about 4″ of ice. The bluegill action was steady, with enough decent-sized fish to make it worthwhile. As has been reported, the tip-up action was really slow. I had several hits on my tip-ups, but failed to hook anything. A few other guys out there had the same problem. I suspect perch are to blame.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.