near fatality

• waterfowler99
    Midwest

the person who fell through the ice today happens to be a very good family friend,jim bantle.he truly had an angel on his shoulder to make in todays frigid temps for 45 min. this is not just a guy who went on thin ice either, he is what i call a river rat,on the water every day fishing hunting or what he was doing today,trapping. he knows pool 7 like the back of his hand.i see him out checking traps when i duck hunt almost daily and he always tells me to make sure that i am safe. i dont know the whole story soo i cant say what happened,i wasnt there. but im sure ill know soon enough when i talk to him.j ust remember it can happen to any of us at anytime so please be safe. thank god your still w/us jim my familys thoughts and prayers are w you and yours……….

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Glad to hear he is doing good.

The more time spent in the great outdoors, winter,spring, summer or fall, the odds are something is going to happen. Do you just sit at home and wait for it? H#ll no. It was an accident. I have learned so many ways to stay out of trouble on the river it isn’t funny. How do you learn, by mistakes the good Lord lets you get away with

Again, Glad to hear he is OK

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

How do you learn, by mistakes the good Lord lets you get away with

Glad he made it! 45 minutes is cutting it to close.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thank You Lord.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I know Jim also. He’s a great guy. I am very happy to hear he made it out alive. That’s long time to be in the water under those conditions.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Man, 45 minutes has to be REAL close to the limit for fatal hypothermia. In yesterday’s conditions, I would have bet on less.

Glad to hear he is OK. That is one scary deal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.