LAX area ice update thread

• Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

La Crosse Rookie here. I had a blast out there with you AMwats!! Thanks for the adventure and I look forward to more in the future!!! If you were wondering, I have 2 user names here…long story. I have class all weekendand am just sitting here dreaming about another monster bluegill on the end of my line. Later…Ted

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Thanks for the tips AmWatson, took my daughter and son out today. Was a little slow this morning but got a nice bite going between 10:30 and noon. Lots of small ones but just need to sort through them, Here is my happy 8 year old, she made it out for 4 hours.

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

happy fisherperson

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

nice little fish fry

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Nice batch of fish you and the daughter got there hodge Looks like you got into some perch as well So who outfished who? Were they in the shallows or did you have to move out to a little deeper water?

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

fisherman’s road out by the LAX airport

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

she caught 4 in 4 drops but went for the root beer and pretzels, and let me catch a few, she was fishing by herself and would just call me over, I have more competition in the family now, and I have a 4 year old who may make it out soon.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

How about the older son, he ice fish? Pretty soon you may need to get one of those big ‘ol ice castles to take the whole family out

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

he stayed in the eskimo, the heater must have been working good, he was sleeping when I checked on him, he caught a bunch though, I will have to hide the jig rods and waxies during the week

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

looks like you we had similar results compared to you. We caught some serious jumbos down at stoddard!

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

you guys looked like you had a pretty good day at Stoddard. Going to try again in the morning, good luck to you

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

hey same to you. I have got to get up off fisherman’s road sometime this winter. There are an aweful lot of reports coming from up there. Sounds like a blast and i have never fished there before. In fact, there are a heck of a lot of places that i have been meaning to get to but still haven’t yet. Hopefully this winter…
    Anybody know how they do down behind gunderson lutheren? I know guys go down there and there are lots of bays and backwaters that i know have potential.
    Thanks

VikeFan

Has anyone been out on Lawrence Lake by Brownsville? I am heading up that way tomorrow, and plan on hitting the backwaters.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Lawrence Lake has people fishing it, but I have not heard any reports.

Good luck if you go!!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Go to stoddard…..if its anything like this weekend, you won’t regret it. Never tried lawrence lake in the winter, but we have caught some dandy spawners in that clear water before. If you go let us know how it goes..might have to fish there sometime. Funny thing is, even though that area is just across the river from us, it would probably take a good 45 minutes to get there because we have to go all the way into town and then back all the way down to brownsville. Good luck and keep us updated.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Made it out on some backwaters this afternoon for a few hours. Caught a bunch of crappies, but almost all were borderline keeper sized. I just did C&R today. Lil Mics and shrimpos were what was working for me. Sorry, no pics today as I don’t want to reveal my location just yet

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Good to here you found some crappies,i cant wait for this weekend.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

So far I have 2 places where I am on the crappies pretty consistently Not sure what this storm system is going to do, but I will see throughout the week.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Cool i will let you know whats goin on thursday night,i will know more then if i have to work or not. Pee on snow.

VikeFan

Quote:

Go to stoddard…..if its anything like this weekend, you won’t regret it. Never tried lawrence lake in the winter, but we have caught some dandy spawners in that clear water before. If you go let us know how it goes..might have to fish there sometime. Funny thing is, even though that area is just across the river from us, it would probably take a good 45 minutes to get there because we have to go all the way into town and then back all the way down to brownsville. Good luck and keep us updated.

Yeah, funny how the river divides things. I lived in Winona for seven years, and grew up not too far west of Lacrosse. Because of where the bridges are, there are large sections of the Wisconsin side that I don’t know at all. I have never fished Stoddard, but I know Lawrence real well, even though they are only a few miles apart.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

stoddard is an amazing fishery when it is hot. And oh let me check..yep it appears to be hot at this time! I know that last year we had minimal results down there, but it seemed as if last year was a tough year in general. i know that area quite well, and there are some interesting features to go along with it. There are deeper channels of up to 8 fow, and then there are flats of 2-3 fow, and then there are areas that are sort of in between around 4-5. Stoddard freezes real well, and people drive out all the time. I can’t really say because i don’t know lawrence real well, but i would take the extra 45 minutes and slotter those pigs!
    good luck…I will let you know how we do this weekend

twedul
    Holmen, WI

Has anyone heard if they are still hitting down at Stoddard after the snow? Looking at getting out tomorrow morning and might make the trip if there is any action. Thanks. Ted

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Went out to Fishermens Road this morning, was slow starting out, I drilled 12 holes an only got a few small fish, I drilled another 8 holes an got 2 holes going pretty decent. Caught 22 gills and would have kept about a dozen including 2 very large gills. Released everything today, I fished a white flirty girty #8 and a pink #8 ratso, both with plastic and 2 or 3 waxies, wanted bigger offering and a VERY light bite, fish were within a foot of the bottom in 5 fow, just keep moving to find them

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Went back to fishermans Rd this morning with my son, I had the hot hand jumping holes with the vexilar, but then he got a hole that was giving up numbers we each caught 17 fish and had 8 in the bucket, still lots of sorting. I came back in the afternoon with my daughter but she was ready to leave 15 minutes after we got there, I brought some treats along which distracted her long enough for me to fish a couple of hours, caught about 35 -40 this afternoon with the fish going good from 2 – 3:30, I put 7 in the bucket and returned the rest. Chartreuse flirty girty #10 was the best jig today, white plastic and 2 or 3 waxies

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I got to meet Dodge Boy today as we hooked up for some morning fishing. We started off the morning in the backwaters and the fishing was pretty slow. Dodge Boy caught a few small perch and I landed one perch. We then headed over to Lauderdale to try and roust up some crappie. We were met by a couple guys coming off the ice with not so good news. They told us they were there for 4 hours and caught a couple fish. We thought we would still try and see what we could find. As soon as we started walking we noticed a very bad sign….shad Not just a few either, drilled holes were full of dead shad as well as on top of the ice. We both dropped the vexes down holes and they lit up like Christmas trees. The shad were 5-6 feet thick in the bay. We stuck it out for almost 2 hours and ended up with 1 fish each. Not sure what impact this is going to have later, but it is pointless to try fishing there when they are that thick. Well tomorrow is another day with a different body of water to try. It was nice meeting you Dodge Boy

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Had good time with ya bud. Just too bad that the fish wern’t cooperating. We’ll have to give it another try sometime and maybe we can put a hurtin on them.

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Finally caught my first Crappie of the ice season, I have iced a few hundred fish without a crappie. I now have one for the season but it was a pretty nice one. Only fished about 90 minutes with my son before the wind got to him. He is holding the only keeper today

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Nice looking crappie you got there That wind was pretty raw today

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Is there any good ice in the La Crosse area? I’m itching to get out.

Matt

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.