LAX area ice update thread

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Hopefully we can keep track of ice in area
    Lake Onalaska -In front of Scaeffers is still a bit soft in areas. The shoreline was 3-4″ and has a permenent shack sitting on the ice.
    Black Deer -Crazy as it sounds, there was a guy fishing in a shack there this afternoon. There was also tracks where a shack was taken from the boat landing out to the main fishing area. It is strongly advised to watch your step and know where you are going until the ice gets more stable
    Fisherman’s Road -I have not checked here in a few days so no clue as of now
    Lauderdale Lake -I went by on Saturday and there were footprints and a few holes drilled a short distance from shore. No sign of anybody fishing yet.
    Goose Island -As of Sunday, reports of thin ice, but people were out fishing in the back sloughs.
    Sailboat Club -I checked the ice there last week and it was close to 2″. At this time, there are people fishing the pads.
    That is all of the areas I have been to lately. I am sure there are more places that may be fishable. With the forecast the way it is, we should be on good ice by the end of the week for sure.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

wats theres probobly 2″ and increasing as we speak at gooseisland but there were a couple of thin spots i would stay away from! just be carefull and be smart with where you walk and you should be ok! by next weekend it should be pretty safe i would think if we don’t have an high temps

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I saw some Crazy out on the ice by the black river beach. Wonder if it was Chamberchamps?<sp>? Isn’t that one of his favorite areas?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I was thinking the same thing, wondering if it was chamberschamps I am not sure if he has a shack though, but he does like to fish there. I haven’t tried it before, maybe this year.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Just got back from fishing at Fisherman’s Road. The ice is in much better shape with a good 4″. No popping noises and it is solid The fish were relating to the shallow water with weeds. I fished in 5 fow the whole time and had consistent action. The numbers were there, but size was lacking. I caught most of my fish with a horizontal presentation. I used First Prey jigs in a white/blue fleck pattern tipped with waxies. I also used a red plastic noodle on a small plain jighead with no meat. Most fish were sitting within a foot of the bottom. It was a good day to be out, a little chilly, but that is what heaters are for

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is one for Slop. Here is a future tourney fish
    Pics didn’t quite turn out, sorry

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It looks like them gills were crapping all around your hole or, is that the secret fish sent

Sorry, just wish I could have been out there with ya

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Here is one for Slop. Here is a future tourney fish

Future tourney fish….that Bass looks like most of his PRESENT tourney fish….

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Bass are bitin’ huh? Might have to try and sneak out

Bret-that’s what you call “go to juice”

Blue…Blue….Blue….

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I was just thinking, I know, I know
    When I started the day, there was 1 other shack. Then I came out, with a spud bar of course. Then, it was like circling vultures came in for the kill. The fact that people came out to fish didn’t bother me one bit. But, only 1 person had a spud and was actually checking ahead And, some of these people were blazing their own trails out across the bay There is a difference between falling through while being cautious and just sticking your nose in the lead sheeps butt and following. Okay, I am better now

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Baaaaaa

baaa baaa

Baaaaaaa

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

cool to hear of some good ice. I want to try up there this year. Never fished off fisherman’s road before. Do you go all the way back to the end or what?
    I headed to Goose Island for a while today and there was a good 4″ there also in the slough i was in NO fish, just fished for a few minutes. Had one tap on me. I was mostly out to see the ice thickness

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, fishing all the way at the back. Follow the road until it dead ends. I may try down to Goose this year sometime as well. I would really like to find a place for good tip-up action.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i can help you with that one! Let me know if you want to try goose island wats…it does actually have fair tip up fishing. We used to catch a lot of decent bass back there on tip’s….Last year we watched a group with probably 7 or 8 flags out…In the day they caught around 15 northerns and took home 3 that were easily 32 or more. IT was awesome. They were getting flags about every 15-20 minutes!
    Shady maple can be good too..we have caught dandy perch there on tip ups and i see people catch some hog pike and bass there as well…
    Im sure i will see a lot of you guys out this winter!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

I saw some Crazy out on the ice by the black river beach. Wonder if it was Chamberchamps?<sp>? Isn’t that one of his favorite areas?

No, not that nuts. I’ll wait for lots of solid ice b/f hittin’ the black river.

I’ve been way too busy here at school to do any fishing lately. I was even too busy to make any arguments abt the recent “God bless G.W. Bush and friends” post that Alvinmack put up a few weeks back.

My fishing drought is gonna change this weekend. It sounds like most “still” waters have a few inches on top, so I’m going to head to one of my favorite spots… Blue Lake. Hell, if I get some “encouragement” I might even play a little hookey tomorrow.

As an afternote to anyone I might ever go fishing with:
    I may spout my liberal off on this forum, but I won’t ever bring it while fishing. Now, if someone else starts talking about the virtues of St. George, you may have a debate on your hands…

Finally, I broke the cherry in my new (to me) boat. A 10 inch ‘eye. And Mike, you were right. That eye didn’t care that I was in a glass boat.

Cheers, Jake

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Went to Fisherman’s Road again late this morning. Since I was going solo, it took me awhile to encourage myself to get out the door, it was COLD this morning Anyway, I hit the ice around 10:30, still chilly, but the sun was out and it felt pretty good. I had to drill a few holes to find decent numbers of fish. I started out with jigs and waxies, the bite was sporadic and you really had to sort through the little ones. After awhile the bite slowed way down for me so I decided to do some experimenting. I went to several plastics with no meat until I found the hot one. I had a glow head with a small plastic body. As soon as that thing would get near bottom….KA-POW, the fish just smacked it Around 2:00 my feet froze so I called it a day

emover
    Malcom, IA

Way to go Wats
    Love the pic, but it’s making me hungry

dave

John Luebker

Sunday Morning I am able to go for about 2 hours. Can you make it ?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Bret-that’s what you call “go to juice”

The second pic looks much better without the juice
    Looks like fun Wats

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I moved the sled over the hole and covered the spinach juice just for the pic I had to take the pic under the shack because I was literally surrounded by other people. It looked like a Trap Attack there today. I think everyone had a Trap

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the reports AM. How thick is the ice where you were fishing at? Thanks, Bill

mec
    West Salem,WI

Where is Lauderdale lake?Thanks

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Lauderdale is a small harbor off the Black River, just north of I-90 in La Crosse. It’s a great spot for panfish. Very deep, so make sure your ice rods hold plenty of line.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The ice is a good solid 4″+. The last few days has really been making ice

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

how deep is “very deep” and how would a guy possibly go about fishing it without a vex? DARN i need to get me one of those things!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Deep as in close to 30′ You can fish it w/out a vex. Most of the fish were close to the bottom. Also, when they are biting you will never get to the bottom before a fish takes the bait

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

John, you’re slipping Sheesh, you are still young yet

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Today was pretty slow for the most part. Hit up Fisherman’s Road and caught a few dinks. La crosse rookie and myself hit another area and caught the tail end of a decent crappie bite. La crosse rookie caught a bluegill that was just huge. The gill was thicker and wider than the crappies we had on the ice No camera today so couldn’t get any pics. Ice is growing pretty steady now. Both places we fished today had 5 inches of ice.

mec
    West Salem,WI

Thanks.I always called it Domkes.Big fish when the’re in their.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.