How fast can the Ice be made?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

On days like this when the temp is averaging about 10, how much ice can be put down in an area with no current and a small amount of snow on top?
    Ice is already about 2″ thick
    I know there may be a big “Depends” but let me know what you think.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Not fast enough

scottsteil
    Central MN

You could get a 1/2 inch a day without snow on the ice and temps like we are having. That decreases once you get a little snow on the ice or the ice starts to get thicker.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

Not fast enough

Unless you don’t MIND a bit of a swim!

I know it’s not funny and I am glad to see you came out alright.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

All I know is for some reason I am really antsy this year to get on the ice. And it just doesn’t seem like it is getting any thicker But, it should be making ice now with very chilly nights and mild days

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I was going to say around an inch or so in a 24 hr period. You said it your self theres alot of “depends” A calm area on a relatively shallow lake will make the most ice. Beleive it or not,…lakes will accumulate ice at a faster rate with a steady wind. The wind over the top of the ice continuously draws heat from the ice and water below it. Your refering to a lake with 2 inches on it already. The ice that forms underneathe the 2 inches will for much faster than the new ice under 8 inches. Think of its rate as an exponential decay as winter continues on.
    I know,….I know,.. all you want to hear is ‘really fast!’ you should be fishing in no time

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

Think of its rate as an exponential decay as winter continues on.

Exponential…Wassa Wassa Now thats just crazy talk that hurts my head

AM
    I will agree, it seems like it has been plenty cold and yet the ice is really slow to thicken up? Kinda weird.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.