First Ice Gills- 10/4 at Goose Island

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Well today after church, i headed to goose island along with nick davis and casey goode. We saw lots of guys out while we were pulling up to the spot but we were surprised when we found there was only 2″ of ice
    We figured it was too late to wuss out and we really had the fever to get out there so we braved it out. At first it was uneasy, but we got over that feeling and started catching some fish. It was slow to start out, picking up a fish every 10 minutes maybe. Lots of bass to start out. Then we moved back into a lagoon that many of you probably have actually fished before and we started fishing. Same deal, but then i had a tug on my line and i tied into a good one. Popped it through the hole and was surprised to catch a beauty 9-1/2 inch bluegill. Nick left soon after this, but Casey and i stayed for about a half hour and caught probably 15 or 20 more before we left. Most fish were between 5 and 7 inches. I wanted some for the fryer so we settled for a few of those smaller 6″ fish when normally we would let them go. Took home 6 or 7 for the pan. It was a fun day out, should be on stoddard next weekend or maybe shady maple. See you guys out there! WINTER IS UPON US! (keep in mind, the ice still needs to be handled with care. There was a spot where someone had actually gone through a couple days earlier! )

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

pic one
    (bad lighting)

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

pic two
    (bad facial expression )

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

(keep in mind, the ice still needs to be handled with care. There was a spot where someone had actually gone through a couple days earlier! )

Great report BF.
    I actually pushed the spud through the ice in one spot today. Yep, I said pushed

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I know it’s a little early yet but do you wanna go out next weekend? THis weekend was a blast besides the fact that it was a little soft along the edges well im ready to go and get some for my frying pan next week if you care to join me ill be ready to rock! we might even bring the shack out to who knows

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hopefully the ice will be much better/thicker/safer next weekend with the very cold temps we will have this week.

Are my eyes fooling me or do I see a fan in the picture? Is the fan to cool you guys off from being such ”HOT” fishermen?

Thanks for the report Cade. With the super warm 45-50 degree weather we had on Monday of last week along with rain any ice was gone so its starting over time and now with snow it slows things down as snow will insulate the ice to keep it warmer which means it doesn’t thicken as hard. I think alot of people were shocked by the ice not being very thick this past weekend. More ice is coming though. Just remember to stay out of areas with current as it shaves the bottom of the ice making it thinner. Be safe.
    Thanks, Bill

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

yes bill, thats a fan

Should make some good ice this week…(there isn’t a whole lot of snow on that ice)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.