Wabasha/Kellogg area ice

• hof
    Rochester, MN

The ice was 1 – 1 1/2 inches thick. No one had walked out on it yet. With a couple more good cold days, it might be better to wait. Checked Wilcox, the Dike Road, and the Wabasha Harbor.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

StaleMackrel

Thanks for your ice thickness report. I will be checking out the area early Monday a.m. and will let you know what I find JJ

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Mike [HOF] did do some ice fishing in the marinas there while fishing through the ice but by being on the dock the whole time. Best of both worlds that way-staying on the dock [safe] and drilling your holes and fishing from the dock and still able to fish first ice that way.
    Thanks, Bill

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Bill……Best of both worlds?

Sounds more like worst of both worlds to me ……not only are you stuck to fishing off a dock, but you have to fish through a 9″ hole off a dock

I think I’d rather sit in my car and poke myself in the eye…..at least I’d be warm

But as far as an ice report goes……..They were fishing off the docks at MN boat harbor today…….nobody actually on the ice anywhere I checked.

We were walking all over the ice on pool 7 yesterday (duck hunting)……..must be more down that way for some reason? The Tremp. lakes might be worth checking out.

StaleMackrel

Ice thickness at Wilcox this a.m. 3 inchs. Ice thickness at Finger Lakes (2nd lake) two inches and less. Trust me! JJ

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

Ice thickness at Wilcox this a.m. 3 inchs. Ice thickness at Finger Lakes (2nd lake) two inches and less. Trust me! JJ

So how was the bite?

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey JJ,

I assume there are a few people on the ice already?

Good Fishing,
    Mike

hof
    Rochester, MN

Heard from a reliable source that the ice is thick enough in several spots now and people are standing on it. It’s still going to be thin, so use caution.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Heard from a reliable source that the ice is thick enough in several spots now and people are standing on it. It’s still going to be thin, so use caution.

Good Fishing,

Mike

Thick in several spots??? How do we get to the several thick spots without stepping on the not so thick spots??????? Couldn’t resists that one Bud. It just hit me funny.

I know you are anxious to get on the ice Bud but be carefull. I insist you stick around for many years. We have ALOT of fishing to do before we meet HE who makes people Fishers of Men.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Thick in several spots??? How do we get to the several thick spots without stepping on the not so thick spots??????? Couldn’t resists that one Bud. It just hit me funny.

I know you are anxious to get on the ice Bud but be carefull. I insist you stick around for many years. We have ALOT of fishing to do before we meet HE who makes people Fishers of Men.

Wise guy eh? Guess I should have said several areas!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Wise guy eh? Guess I should have said several areas!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Didn’t think it would take you long to find my response.

schollmeier

Any update on the finger lakes? Is there going to be enough ice to fish them this weekend?

Thanks,
    Tony

hof
    Rochester, MN

Welcome to the forums Tony!
    I made the rounds today. Wilcox, the Dike Road, and the Wabasha Harbor all have good ice – between 3-5 inches. I did not go to the finger lakes, but they should be getting very close if not already thick enough. You do need to use caution on the finger lakes as there are some springs and current in places.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

schollmeier

Thanks for the info. I haven’t posted on this site since before they changed the format, however long ago that was. College has been eating up too much of my fishing time the last couple years. Anyway, I’ll check out the dike road and finger lakes on Sat. most likely and I’ll watch out for the springs.

Tony

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome. Great to have you back with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hit the ice today in the backwaters. The ice is really solid and 5-6 inches everywhere I checked.
    The fishing was very good. Gills to 9+ inches with lots of 8’s. Crappies were not plentiful, but a couple in the 11 inch range, and a few 9-10 inch perch. Ratso’s tipped with a red spike was the best bait today. The weather was great and so was the fishing!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bigroy
    Winona, MN

Mike
    saw your vehicle in the lot. sure was a great day on the ice.
    the sunnies were jumping out of the holes today.
    but you say you caught some crappies today. i
    hammered the gills but no crappie. Whats the pattern
    for the crappie in that area you fished today? are you
    catching them early or late? i never saw you on the ice
    but it was busy. woudn’t have been able to pick you out
    as we have never met. thanks for any help

hof
    Rochester, MN

The crappies came later in the day – all after 3:00. They were about a foot under the ice. Same bait as the gills. There were a lot of people there today!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bigroy
    Winona, MN

ah yea, that makes sense just what i thought I left at 1:30pm
    got on at 9:00am. so i got there to late and left
    to early for the crappie bite. oh but the gills were going
    well. lots o people coming and going. still great to
    see all ages and gendeR on the ice all smiling faces.
    and the weather PERFECT.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.