It finally happened!!

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Well I thought I would get on the ice today after checking conditions earlier in the day. On Fisherman’s Road here in LAX I checked the ice and had a good 2″. So I went home to get my gear and give it a shot. I slowly walked out on the ice rechecking with my spud bar every few feet. I had just checked the ice and then went forward another step. As soon as I made that step, I niticed right away the ice was a little softer, but it was too late. It happened so fast, yet in slow motion The ice gave way and down into the icy water I went. For some reason I didn’t panic, but I got my arms out to catch myself on the ice. I am still amazed at how cold that water is. I caught myself around the armpits. I didn’t know the water was that deep there Amyway, I took a second to assess the situation and then got myself out with little problem. I knew enough to try and get out the way I came and it was solid. I came out of this a little smarter than I went in I am usually pretty careful about going out on first ice. I think the problem was the snow on the ice made a weak spot and I found it. There was another guy that was in his truck, but he didn’t even see me go in. After I walked back to my truck, with my clothes soaked, he walks out and tries to get around the area I went in thinking he could find a better way He decided it was best to wait a few more days as well.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Dang Wats!! Glad you are ok…

I’ve gone through at last ice before…so I know what it’s like.

Fisherman’s road is actually pretty deep. When I go wading out there in the summer it gets up to the Chest pretty quick.

I think i’ll wait a few more days too

Bob Bowman
    MN

I had that happen to me a few times while I was going to school down on Winona. We were fishing the backwaters of the Miss down by the airport and I went in…Boy is that COLD!!! Guys please be very careful this weekend. There is not a fish out there that is worth killing yourself for.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m sorry, but I just don’t get it!

Glad your safe (and smarter) AM… but walking out on 2 inches just takes all the fun out of fishing…call me gutless, call me fishless…but call me safe and warm and call me next week to go out on the ice.

I know it’s to each his own…and I feel I’m an open minded kinda guy…but I just can’t see it.

Anoka County had a house with two guys in it go down last night or this morning. Some guy with a 100ft extension cord pulled them out.

Not for me…I’d rather sit here and talk smart than to have to make my family wonder..WHY THE HE11 I drownd for a fish!

Thanks for sharing AM…again, I’m happy to hear you got out!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

2 inches of ice!

I’m glad your ok.

You got a bigger set than I do.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Used to go out on 2″ of ice but that was 75 lbs ago. My feet haven’t grown enough to keep the lbs per square inch down.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Two inches is usually plenty if its clear and clean. Just have to be careful. I always have the life vest handy when going out on the first few trips. The other thing we usually do is have the lead guy tie a rope around his waist and drag it behind him. Not a good idea to go alone.

Just a thought. You may want to call the local police dept. If someone sees tracks in the snow out to a hole in the ice, they may send out the rescue squad!

-J.

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Clear thinking if you ask me. Let’s put a bunch of other lives at risk trying to save the ones that don’t have enough sense to stay off the ice until it’s safe. The rescuers probably don’t have a family or anything else to live for anyway. Unfreakinbelivable.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I’ve gone through at last ice before…so I know what it’s like.

I forgot, you’ve been there and back.

I’m glad you’re okay though Wats…and THAT’S why I wait until OPEN WATER!

vikefanmn

Glad your alright. I myself have always been THAT guy. After having fallen through 2 times, you learn how to fall through the right way ( assuming there is one ). I guess the reason i go out this early is the uncertainty. The rush of not knowing for sure that u’ll end up dry is addicting. However, always wear chest waders and a life jacket and bring spikes could save your life. Go nutz take chances

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I checked a local spot last night and couldn’t even make it 1 step out. I was really suprised after all this cold. I thought for sure I’d be going out this weekend. Back to pheasant hunting I guess.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Well said vikefanmn,

There are those who do and them who wait. Funny how the waiters are normaly sitting right tight to the ones who do I can’t just sit around and wait. 2 inches of clear ice is plenty.

I have also been through and keep going back. Having a set of picks around the neck is also a must for the first adventures.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

After reading this post, I know what i will be doing tomorrow!
    And it won’t be ice fishing!
    Im gonna go check out mt. lax on openning day…
    Ill save the ice “rush” for sunday…thats good news though that we already have 2″ I would say by sunday there should be at least three. I will be at goose in that very back lagoon area where there is absolutely no current and gin clear water so all the factors will be in favor of good ice…see ya out there!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m telling you guys! If Suzuki didn’t go out because of unsafe ice…go to the bar! (Just kidding with you Mike…sort of!)

I have to admit, from my point of view, this is a very funny thread. Just goes to show the diveristy we have on this site.

I’m glad you are all here to tell about the times you fell through and the “right” way to fall through. Putting ropes around the lead person… I’m sorry, it just cracks me up that anyone would go to those lenghts to hook a fish.

Nothing personal, and I’m not trying to force my veiws on you..just talking and laughing about it.

I smoke like a chimney and have my own issues!

But this is pretty funny stuff!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will admit, I am one to push the envelope when it comes to ice fishing What was funny is I actually took a rope and tied a loop in it to put around yourself in case somebody did fall through. After thinking about it though, who was I going to throw it to? I may have rushed it to get on the ice, but like I said, I am willing to take a few chances in life. If it weren’t for guys willing to check things out, how would we know when we can get on the ice?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

If it weren’t for guys willing to check things out, how would we know when we can get on the ice?

Got me there Wats!

…and I thank you for it!

now if you’ll excuse me…time for another smoke

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I smoke like a chimney and have my own issues!

But this is pretty funny stuff!

That would explain staying off thin ice. Sounds like you keep a fire lit

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

lol funny you should mention that…
    A couple years ago, a couple of dumb es
    Came out on about 4-5 inches of ice and lit a bonfire. They burned it for about 5 hours and i imagine that created quite the thin spot…nobody else went near that area for the day!

Forgot to ask wats…
    Did you loose any gear?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

If you guys see me WILLINGLY on 2″ of ice.. I will be the guy in a small jon boat pushing his way across with a chisel.

My 210 lb body will throw you something that floats from shore and call 911 for you. I’ll cheer you on if I dont have anything around long enough to reach you in the water..

Sorry guys, if its not my kid through the ice, im not risking my life to save you. I dont mean that in a cold hearted way… nothing I can do frezing to death in a hole next to you.

blufloyd

I been in over head a couple times once at -10 deg. 3 blocks from house. a lot of time in shower defrosting the coveralls and dumb guy and his mom asking all you alright? h— I walked three blocks in an iceberg I could be alright or maybe not. Nothing would come off. Friend had just related story from 50’s of similar experience so had something to go by.

Watched an old guy freeze to death on a bucket in 77. Emt’s couldn’t straighten him out. He was the only guy in a big circle around a hole that never moved in 3 hours.

stay on top its a lot more fun that way, guys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Watched an old guy freeze to death on a bucket in 77. Emt’s couldn’t straighten him out. He was the only guy in a big circle around a hole that never moved in 3 hours.

See! If this wasn’t a true story, it would be funny! This is stuff they put on the Red Green show.

Nope, you guys have fun out there…try to stay on top…I’m going to sit here with a bunch of Rela-tics…drink a beer or 7 and laugh….a little.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I know 2 is pushing it but hey it got me these yesterday

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I noticed the picture wasn’t taken on the ice…would the flash have melted it?

Nice mess of perch Matt Next week for me…I hope!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Brian, Brian, Brian….that was pretty funny See look at all the laughs we give you Honestly, there has to be somebody out there to laugh at, might as well be us crazy ones

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It has got to be something other than crazy buddy wats. From what I read, BrianK fits well into the crazy group

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Used to go out on 2″ of ice but that was 75 lbs ago. My feet haven’t grown enough to keep the lbs per square inch down.

By my calculations, Putz would need size 24 boots!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Eye Guide…doesn’t lute float?

Bret…you know me (too) well!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m looking forward to having a beer with ya at the PDC GTG

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.