Red Lake Closed?!?!?!?!?!

• col._klink
    St Paul

I heard today that the Indians are takeing back Red. Closing it to the rest of the world. And I heard that our wonderfull DNR ( DO NOTHING RANGERS ) are not going to open the Walleyes on Red like they said they would.

Not sure if this is true or not but it came form a very trust worthy source.

Anybody else heard of this??? I AM PISTED!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

OHOH

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

that would not be good!!!
    do you have a link from the DNR or anything!

col._klink
    St Paul

Nope I heard it from a Deputy when I was up there Yesterday.

I almost puked on him, I was so shocked!!

Bob Bowman
    MN

I hope this is just a rumor, I don’t what to think of the actions that would be taken if this were true

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Just e-mailed the DNR, hope to have a solid answer by morning. If you go to Rogers website he seems quite confident that there will be fishing this weekend to be had.

col._klink
    St Paul

God knows I will going ASAP I get off at 0200 Friday and will be heading up!! I just hope what I heard is not true but I bo believe it.

Vickie
    MN

Most of Upper and all of Lower Red are ALREADY closed. Are you suggesting that they are going to close the entire lake?

How could that even be possible – the only part open now is not on the reservation. The Native Americans can’t close that.

I thought walleye fishing is scheduled to open in the Spring – it was never to be open for the ice fishing season.

Vickie

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Impossible,…Sounds like last call bar talk. If what you heard was a true accusation, it would be huge already I would think. I guess I’ve been known to be wrong before

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Sounds fishy to me…I wouldnt worry about it.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

( DO NOTHING RANGERS )

I had always thought it was the Department of No Results?

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I just got an E-mail back from the DNR, and it says quote

“Not true. The Walleye season is still closed on Red Lake until the fishing opener May 13th, but otherwise the lake is open to fish. Kevin”

So everything will be allright

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks Dan.

I do know the tribes are in discussuions regarding what THEY are going to do when the lake opens. The tribes may very well begin netting again and the State can’t do squat to prevent it. Time will tell…..

-J.

scottsteil
    Central MN

A lot of this comes the tribes discussions of what they are going to do with thier portion of Upper Red Lake. I think that is what is getting confused here.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

How far is the run from the Hastings to Red Lake?
    Miles and Time?
    Thanks

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Haywood, according to mapquest.com….5 hours 56 minutes and 315.15 miles later you will be in Waskish MN on the eastern shore of URL

Bob Bowman
    MN

That sounds about right, from my front door in Otsego it is just a little over 4 hours.

col._klink
    St Paul

Thanks for doing that Dan. I hope they are not lying!! I just wonder that since they have the rights to the water, does that give them rights to all the water on the lake?? I know that nobody can own water but I am not sure how that works with respect to the Indians on Red Lake Res. Is that all the Dnr had to say???

col._klink
    St Paul

I thought thier main calling was

Rude language has been deleted. Keep it clean guys.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

The indians don’t own the whole lake.

The part that we can fish isn’t on the reservation and the indians don’t have anything to do with that section.

We have about a third of Upper Red on the east side.

There is no way they’d close the lake this late in the resocking. The lake is full of walleyes.

So much for your “very trust worthy source.”

You wonder how rumers get started.

Remember last year when the monster walleye was caught on lake Tobin in Canada?

The rumor mill started and I heard stories that it was caught on Lake of the Woods, Leech and on Mill acs!

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i talked to a buddy who lives in red lake and his brother is on the cousil there and he said that the only part of red that they own is lower red , and that they havent pursued upper red in over 20 yrs . fact of the matter is there in danger of loseing 100% rights to lower red too . if they were to try and push the issue on upper they might open another can of worms there not ready to fish with .!!! so we the tax paying people are in no danger of loseing privies to upper red lake ……….

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

That was all his e-mail said. I figured it was just a weak rumor anyway, so I didn’t expect much more out of the guy at the DNR.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks guys. Very nice to have this cleared up and have it be good news.
    Thanks, Bill

col._klink
    St Paul

This was something I heard so I put it out there to be discussed. Instead of wondering myself I thought I would ask the question rather than coming to an conclusion my self. I would hate to see us lose the privlege to fish on Red. A simple answer was all I was looking for. I would also hate to see you eat your words. Rumors are not good. So they should be discussed plain and simple. Now this is over and unless you do not something intelligent to discuss please read only.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Nope I heard it from a Deputy when I was up there Yesterday.

I almost puked on him, I was so shocked!!

I hope the deputy wasn’t named Barny Fife.

I think I better shut up now,

I see your in law inforcement and live in Anoka county….

I’m sorry I offended you…Sir

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

I hope the deputy wasn’t named Barny Fife.

I think I better shut up now,

I see your in law inforcement and live in Anoka county….

I’m sorry I offended you…Sir

I think it was Roscoe P Coltrane!!!!!!

Don’t worry Skindog…….Anyone with a name of Col Klink would just be a push over behind a badge!!!!!!!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

coo, coo, coo, …C’mon flash!

Bob Bowman
    MN

MY LITTLE FAT BUDDY!!!!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

ABout time somebody caught that

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.