What to wear?

• Greenju

I am looking for something to buy that works great for icefishing..i dont want snowpants, but something else for my legs. I thought wool pants?? is there anything out there that would be great for icefishing and keep me warm!!…let me know!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Get some Insulated Guidewear Bibs. You can use them all winter and summer. You will want something that does not absorb water. By the end of the day your legs will be froze if you wear anything that can absorb water. If you drill a lot of holes in a day, you will get wet from the knee down….my 2 cents.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Yup what Scott said!
    I like the typhoon gear from gamehide. it seems to insulate better in the winter and breath a little better in the summer too.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

A nice set of Carhart bibs can do just about anything. Not waterproof, but will keep you warm, and will hold up to damn near anything.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you go for the carhart bibs make sure and water proof the heck out of them or you might be a frozen block of ice by the end of the day.

Start the layering with a good quality pair of long johns. There is alot better out there than the old cheep cotton long jons.
    Throw in some nice insulated pants or quality insulated sweat pant over them. Then the last layer can focus more on keeping the wind and water out.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I started out in Carhart bibs a lot of years ago. However, at the end of the day, drilling a lot of holes, I would have HUGE ice build up on the bottom of each leg.

Also, if you do like me and fish hole to hole outside and kneel at each hole. You will have big time arthritis in your knees after a few years. Not from the cold, but the cold water that they absorb. I have not had knee problems since I switched to Insulated Guidewear 5 years ago. You will hear me swear by it

herb
    6ft under

Mike W. where might a person get insulated sweat pants? Never heard of them.

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

YES, YES WHAT HE SAID GUIDEWEAR ALL THE WAY.
    EVEN WITH INCHES OF WATER ON THE ICE YOU CAN KNEEL DOWN IN THE WET STUFF AND BE DRY ALL DAY, I KNOW ,I HAVE DONE THIS A TIME OR TWO

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Scott, since you spend tons of time on the ice each year may I please ask you to share what your clothing is for ice fishing? Thanks, Bill

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

DON’T do wool pants. Tried that last year and you can’t believe how ice jigs will snag in those things. Better have a good pair of needle nose pliers along if you do!! Might as well wear velcro.

Go with guide wear.

What do you guys use for footwear? Alot of what I read says get away from pac boots and go to highly rated Dauner, or equivelent footwear, for ankle support. Took my dog on a walk tonight wearing 400 gram Dauner (18 degrees outside) and was dry and tosty. Sitting over an ice hole is another thing.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good question big dog. I have been lugging around a pair of Ice Kings for years now. Never had a problem with my feet getting cold but the pair must weigh close to ten pounds and do nothing for support. There doesw look to be alot of good insulated bots out no a days with a ridged sole and snug fitting better than the Ice kings.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I wear my normal clothes, jeans and a 1/2 neck shirt (similar to a turtle neck) with a hooded sweatshirt over that or a light hooded jacket. It is important to keep your neck sealed.

Then comes the Guidewear Insulated Bibs and Jacket. One pair of cotten socks and then Bunny Boots. The important thing is to not tie your bunny boots up. Just slip them on and tie knots in the end of the strings so they can’t slip through the eyes. Your feet need to breath and have to be able to move around in the boots. On really cold days (0 and below) I add a pair of loose fitting thermal socks.

I wear a baseball hat or visor on my head and light work gloves that can slip on and off easily on my hands. If it is windy or really cold I use the hood on the guidewear. The hood on my jacket or sweatshirt is used to keep my neck warm.

That is what I wear. All day, everyday I am on the ice. Warm or Cold.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I have a pair of Danner Canadian boots. They have 600 grams of thinsulate in them coupled with Gore-Tex. By far one of the best boots I’ve ever worn ice fishing. I spent many days on the ice last year in them. Some days, from sun up to sun down. Never once did I get cold.

Scott is correct, your feet need room to breathe. Wearing constricting boots leads to lack of blood flow, which in turn leads to cold feet. I rarely wear boot socks in my Danners. Just a pair of good cotton socks.

I used to sell Danner & La Crosse boots. The Ice kings are nice, but can be over-kill.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i wear columbia gore-tex quad parka and bibs, on my feet i wear 1000 gram thinsalate all leather irish setter boots with wool socks. just remember to layer your clothing under your coat, and you should be warm and toasty all day long. i have found that now that i live on the lake, i fish out of my truck, more often than i set up the otter….tom f.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks guys. What stores carry the Danner boots and is there a certain style better than another or is it just one type a Danner boot. Any idea what the going price is on them?
    Thanks, Bill

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

A pair of Danner pronghorn boots with 1000 grams of thinsulate will run you a minimum of 150 bucks. The pronghorn is a decent boot, but it’s not all leather. If you want 100% leather the price goes up. I personally think Irish Setter boots are every bit as good as Danner, and are slightly less expensive. I own a pair of each and wear my Irish Setters more often.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

No wounder why no 2 guys look the same on the ice. Thre are tons of good gear for ice fishing. You don’t have to spend top dollar to get good stuff but, cheap will get you cheap cold wet gear
    I wear polar fleece pants and rocky boots with 800 grams of thinsulate. I keep them both treated with silicon spray. For the top side, I just dress in layers always topping off with a hooded sweatshirt. I can’t stand a stocking hat.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I have the Rocky’s boot. 1200 grams thinsulate. Keeps my feet nice and toasty with just a thin pair of socks I wear all year round. Got them at Cabela’s, cost around $100.00.
    Had gotten guide wear last year but didn’t stay as warm all the time like I wanted. So this year I went to something else. Got it at Cabela’s. Called Seclusion 3D. It’s camo, insulated and waterproof. And half the price of the GUIDE WEAR. My daughter went deer hunting on the 2nd day of the season and wore it and my boots. She was sweating in it when she came back in. And all she had on under them was her reg clothes she’d been wearing in the house. She and her husband both liked the results and plan to have some for next year of their own.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

I wear my normal clothes, jeans and a 1/2 neck shirt (similar to a turtle neck) with a hooded sweatshirt over that or a light hooded jacket. It is important to keep your neck sealed.

Then comes the Guidewear Insulated Bibs and Jacket. One pair of cotten socks and then Bunny Boots. The important thing is to not tie your bunny boots up. Just slip them on and tie knots in the end of the strings so they can’t slip through the eyes. Your feet need to breath and have to be able to move around in the boots. On really cold days (0 and below) I add a pair of loose fitting thermal socks.

I wear a baseball hat or visor on my head and light work gloves that can slip on and off easily on my hands. If it is windy or really cold I use the hood on the guidewear. The hood on my jacket or sweatshirt is used to keep my neck warm.

That is what I wear. All day, everyday I am on the ice. Warm or Cold.

Thanks Scott. I have one more question though. I know a person needs to keep their feet and top of your head warm but why is the neck so important?
    Thanks, Bill

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

You guys up north probably have a better handle on this stuff than me but I have to guestion the cotton socks. Cotton will not wick moisture away from your feet as they sweat. I have been told a good pair of poly liners will wick the sweat away and keep your feet warm and dry. Just my .02

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.