Tip-up fishing with a rod?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I know we touched on this with the automatic ice fisherman device,
    BUT do any of you have a simple method of essentially tip-up fishing with a regular rod?
    If so can you give details and some pics?
    Thanks

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I think this is the “isn’t this illegal in MN thing”?
    It may be good for trying to build something from looking at it.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Why would it be illegal? It was featured in the Jan 05 issue of Minnesota Sportsman.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Thanks for the info. I believe I seen a post last year using this set up. It looks like it would be a blast to try
    I’m thinkin’ I need one

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I have been pondering making a set up that would hold a rod equipped with a baitcaster(or spinning reel) with a line out alarm. It would be very easy to adapt a flag to rest on the spool, and go up when a fish takes the bait. This would be handy at night with a audible alarm. It wouldnt be difficult to rig an LED light to the rig either to illuminate when the rig is triggered.

I will probably make my 1st one next week. My biggist issue is I dont want it to be too bulky, still be sturdy, and something that wont freeze to the ice… and the biggest thing… make it impossible for a fish to pull the rod down the hole.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey Dave and Heywood – Here is something that may be exactly what you guys are looking for. I found this tipup at the St Paul Ice Fishing show a few years ago, I only bought one and I have been kicking myself ever since. I should have bought a couple. It works great for a tipup using a standard spinning or baitcasting rod setup. I went a step further than the tipup and I rig it with an Strike Sensor Fish Alarm. When the flag pops it sets off the fish sensor and a pager I carry in my pocket goes off. It works slick from quite a ways away. I usually rig the tipup outside my portable house with a good sized shiner for northerns and fish one rod inside the house. With the Strike Sensor I don’t have to worry about having to keep an eye out an iced over fish house window.

I mounted the tipup rod holder on a piece of 2X4 with an “L” bracket that the tipup clamp can hook on. The 2X4 also gives me a good surface to hold my Strike Sensor. I just clip the Strike Sensor to the Tipup flag and when she pops it sets off the Strike Sensor. This thing is much nicer than a standard tipup – it is easier to use and you don’t freeze to death setting it up out in the wind and cold. I rig up and bait the rod in the house and just carry it out to the tipup and I’m ready to fish in a few seconds.

We are lucky because I couldn’t remember the name of the company I bought it from. I pulled out the tipup from my ice fishing stuff and the tipup had the company name and address information still on it. I think I paid $20 about 3 or 4 years ago. Here is the company information and a few pictures of how I set it up:

All Season Tip-Up

Hillbilly Tackle

Wolverine, MI

1(231)-525-6771

Owner Jeff Craig

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Here is another pic:

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Now that is starting to look like the ticket!

Thanks Comanchero!

I will see if the company still exists.

I may ask for more pics to see how the flag is set off and details such as that.

Quote:

Why would it be illegal? It was featured in the Jan 05 issue of Minnesota Sportsman

sorry Derek,

The only reason I brought that up is because I thought that was the problem with some of these that incooperated the auto hook set?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Yea thats what I thought too at first..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.