LX-3 TrueColor Upgrade

• scottsteil
    Central MN

As some of you are may know, you can get your LX-3 upgraded to the TrueColor display now throught MarCum customer service. The price is $49 and that includes shipping one way. If you are interested in getting this done, I would think about doing it quickly, as they will be swamped in the next few weeks. Here is a link to where you can get more info.

[email protected]

nick
    Lakeville, MN

and this keeps the same target seperation? they’re just changing bulbs right, interesting, I’m happy with the colors I have, for now.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Nick, yes TrueColor is a new display option for the LX-3. The 2006 LX-3’s will actually be called LX-3tc. TrueColor changes the colors, and will be brighter and crisper than the current display. The response has been very positive for the new display.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

I foresee a big sale on the LX-3TC at the end of this season. Seriously, how many are they actually going to sell if it is cheaper to buy the LX-3 and have the lights updated to the Vexilar colors???

scottsteil
    Central MN

Good one Are you familiar with TrueColor? You are getting more then color change. You are getting a crisper display that is very noticeable, improved viewing in direct sunlight and a much better overall dispay..none of which are available on a on Vexilar.

BTW, the LX-3 is not being made anymore. If you can find a used one, or have a used one, you can get it done. The LX-3 in now the LX-3TC.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Thanks………My point is, who is going to buy this year’s production of the LX3-TC, when you can buy the LX3 at the discounted price and pay for the color update cheaper than buying the LX3-TC. By the way…..there are plenty of new LX3’s to be had.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

Good one You are getting a crisper display that is very noticeable, improved viewing in direct sunlight and a much better overall dispay..none of which are available on a on Vexilar.

Here is a quote from someone who has the both the Marcum and Vex. It seems to me the difference is not as much as the hype.

“Can’t wait to get the LX-5 out on the ice. I compared the displays of the FL-18 and the LX-5, and there is perhaps a tiny edge in brightness to the LX-5. Pretty much the same, though.”

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Thanks for the update Scott! I have my return#. Gotta love Marcum.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I believe it was last year when I was looking for a good ice flasher. One of the complaints about MarCums was the LED’s weren’t as good as a vex. A couple folk along with Scot said that once you get use to the MarCum lights, you’ll like them better…I was a skeptic and an owner of a FL-8…like the one you sold CSP. I bought the LX-3 and IMO what whippersnapper Scot said was true…in “my” experiance both the 18 and the LX-3 are very good units, I also believe the Marcum has the edge…I’ll find out how the TC’s work very very soon.

So now that I’m done rambling…the bottom line is (from what your friend said) the display’s are the same…but what he didn’t say (might not know yet) is the interferance rejection/target seperation…and to some that fish suspended fish, the adjustable zoom…gives the MarCum the edge.

I’m not saying this because Scotty pays me…in fact he’s a couple months behind Seriously, this is all my opinion and based on the way I fish. Yours (and his) experiances may vary. But again, if someone stole my lx-3 and replaced it with an 18, “I” would be selling the 18 to you and getting a new MarCum.

Man…isn’t there ice YET!

gregory
    Red wing,mn

can this be done on the lx-1?thanks

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Nope, not a friend, don’t even know the guy. The quote came from a Marcum sponsored website, he simply didn’t sugar coat it like they do there, he gave his honest “unsponsored” opinion of the two units side by side

scottsteil
    Central MN

CSP, I tell it like it is. If MarCum has an issue I am aware of, you will here it from me first. When there was a bad batch of transducers, it was the IDA guys that got the first batch of new ones. The TrueColor display on the LX-5 is better then the LX-3TC because it uses 3 different LED lights. The LX-3 TC is still blended colors, just very crisp when compared to the FL-18.

Sponsored or not, I did the testing on the LX-5 when it was in its infancy and I got to compare it to all units. Including the LX-3 TC. The LX-5 display is better then the TC, but the TC is a noticeably better then the FL-18. However, I will let others be the judge, compare them honestly(on the ice), as I do, and come back and tell us.

I have no problem with the FL-18. It does a good job, but it is still the same flasher it was 6 years ago. Technology has improved in the 3 color flasher market, and I haven’t seen any improvements to the FL-18 other than they brought back the side beverage holder on the carrying case.

The LX-3TC’s will sell. When someone is looking for an upgrade from a FL-18 or an LX-1 and don’t need all the features of the LX-5 or don’t want to spend that money, the LX-3 TC will be a nice fit.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Quote:

can this be done on the lx-1?thanks

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Sent mine to Brainerd yesterday. Can hardly wait to get it back! Thanks for the communication Scott! Greatly appreciated! Kurt

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.