Back from Wally-world!

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Picked up a sweet new combo, perfect for ‘eyes and bass this winter. Its got an abu garcia cardinal on it and its a berkley lightning ice rod. Can’t wait to try it out. I also got some 6# fireline and some of those little spring bobbers everybody uses for panfish. Yep, im fired up! Get me on the ice please!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Cool

Make sure you take your reel apart and get rid of the heavy grease applied from the factory. There are a couple of good winter oils on the market. Bluelube and I believe the other it called Hot sauce. These oils will keep things smoth in the cold

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

took it apart, seems to be well lubricated. It doesnt have a lot of excess lube like i have seen on other reels.. I think i am gonna leave it for now. Thanks….

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

A good test. Put your reel in the freezer for a few hours and give it a try. Better to find out at home that is is stiff than on the ice.

Good luck fishing

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

this wont damage the reel will it?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Your going to be setting it down on the ice aren’t you?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i spose..If it is stiff..what would i do to get rid of the stiffness? clean it out and lube it up with some different lube or what? thanks

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Yep, and you might not have to do a thing. It is something I do to keep things from getting stiff in the cold. I mentioned 2 winter lubes above.
    It is a nice combo you have there!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Thanks for the help
    Yes i do really like it. Its really smooth- 5 ball bearings and i like the action. Its got a light tip, but its got enough backbone to handle those ‘eyes and bass. Can’t wait to try it out. $33 at wal-mart!

blufloyd

Abu cardinal 100’s rule. I fished friday 17 deg with one thats been dunked a couple time etc no freeze up, nothing. buds’ reel sounded like a johnny popper most of day it was pretty unhappy with cold and water. original spider wire reel.

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

nice cade, i just got back from cabelas and got some needed ice fishing gear, a tip-up rod and reel and some depth finders(i lost a few last year )
    -Aaron

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

what kind of rod/reel did you get?

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

Quote:

what kind of rod/reel did you get?

i got a cheap Ice Blues 24″ light rod and a Hi-Tech MBR-2 bait cast style, never used this brand so i thought i would try
    -Aaron

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.