Iowa first ice for 2005

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Fellow ice anglers.With our cold weather coming in for next week do any of you think you’ll be on the ice by next week-end??? I hope to get out if conditions are safe.

Ryan Hale

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I’ll be deer hunting but hope to get out a week from Wed. If It’s safe!!!

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

im praying to get out and fish soon im goin crazy, i need to stick some bule gill soon!

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

If any of you find safe ice, please post. I am from central Iowa but I will drive up if you have good ice.

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

dont worry nick i sure will make a post about safe ice, i cant wait much longer!
    -Aaron

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Ryan find some thick enough for me!
    I’ll be there!

–Whitey

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Corneila was covered yesterday. Chad and I went up their with the boat and couldn’t get it on the water. With 3-4 cold nights Morse and Corneila should be about ready.

Todd

FYI the water temp was 39.5 at Brushy yesterday!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Aaron, I love your new pic.
    Thanks, Bill

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

Quote:

Aaron, I love your new pic.
    Thanks, Bill

Yeah Bill i like it a lot to. i just hope my fish dont turn out like that!

VikeFan

I’m going to check the ponds around Iowa City every day, as it shouldn’t take much for them to freeze over now. Macbride and Pleasant Creek will take a little longer. I am now glad I brought my basic ice gear back from Minnesota with me.

shaley
    Milford IA

Smiths Bay and Emerson are starting to ice up as of this morning. Little Souix will be soild by morning. 2″ of snow so far today and still coming, lows in the single digits or low teens rest of the week. Its time boys lets drill some holes.

VikeFan

There is skim ice on the smaller ponds in the Iowa City area that don’t have geese using them. If the forecast is right I may be getting out on a couple of them Friday…

VikeFan

3-4″ of powdery snow, and still coming down–that’ll slow down the ice-making process. Monday looks like a more realistic first-ice day down here.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

If you get out and find something fishable let me know.
    My new otter shack is arriving on Friday and I would love to set up somewhere on Saturday.
    I’ll check the pot hole Sat am to see what it looks like.
    jc

VikeFan

Two small shallow ponds in the Iowa City area with no current or geese had 2″ of ice as of this morning when I checked them. Yesterday morning they had about .75″ of ice, and the day before it was skim ice. The ice this morning held me up by shore, but it was creaking pretty good. If I were a hundred pounds lighter I might have gone home and grabbed my auger. As it is temps are supposed to stay below freezing all day and tonight, so I think I’ll wait until tomorrow afternoon to drill some holes. The hardwater season is here!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Thanks for the info. I will be out Saturday on the little mudd holes around Palo. I will let you all know how it goes… I am guessing it has 2 – 3 inches on it by the sounds of things. It was skim ice 3 days ago. With current calculations I would like to think a solid 3 inches by Sat am.
    jc

VikeFan

About 2.5″ of ice this morning on the IC area ponds I checked. It is good clear ice, and held me up where I walked on it, but just the same I am going to wait a day or two before spending any time on it. The new snow cover is going to slow things down a little bit. But, it arrived just in time for the deer hunters.

IceJohn

Volga L. Had a short3 Sat.Mondayshort4 20ft from shore just did a test hole for hand check.ICE JOHN

VikeFan

The snow is making things complicated around Iowa City. I went out this afternoon thinking I would get some ice-fishing in on the ponds where I found 2″ of ice on Sunday. What I found was an inch of half-frozen slush on top of two inches of ice–a couple blows with the spud bar went right through the ice. If there hadn’t been four inches of snow insulating it there would be 4″ of good ice now, but what are you gonna do? I am hoping with the snow melted into slush and frozen tonight I can hit it Thursday afternoon.

fshnut
    Rockford, MN

I’m from Mn. but have family it Spirit lake.
    Hope to get over there soon.
    Is there any walkable ice on Okoboja of Big Spirit.

I have been out on about 4 inches of ice on some lakes over here. One nice walleye and a bunch of crappies the past two nights.

FSHNUT from MN.

emover
    Malcom, IA

fshnut,
    Welcome to IDA
    Post all you want, and enjoy the info and folks here.
    I too have family(son)in Spirit Lake, but am stuck in NE Ia working.

dave

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.