Mille Lacs Lake primed to ice up soon!!!

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

As I’m making this post the wind is blowing on the eastside of the lake at 25-30 mph with gusts to 40+…..The reported water temperature last week was 37 deg’s. What the old timer’s taught me is that we need the “big blow” prior to ice up! What happens with Mille Lacs it is a shallow glacier lake where the lakes surface water mixes well when the wind blows. I always thought that it was best to have days of calm winds…….well yes, calm is good but only after a big wind!
    The harbors and bays have had some ice in the past few weeks. I see the lake ready to freeze very soon, after this blow last night, which is the forth big blow we have had this November.

We should have good ice prior to Christmas!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sounds to me like if we want to find you after Christmas check the lake. If we want to find you before Christmas check the harbors. Hows it going Bud? Getting pumped for ice fishing I see. Won’t be long and it will be here. The backwaters down here should freeze over pretty good with this cold front coming through. We are looking at highs below freezing and lows in the teens or lower. Thanks for the ice report.
    Thanks, Bill

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

A shot from the “Bobber Web Cam”

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Bob, you know how much I love open water. That pic hurts. It makes me home sick for open water fishin. Oh well, I’m getting myself pumped for ice fishing but still have the jon boat in the driveway for emergencies. Keep us posted on the big pond ice thickness as I know there are alot of people who like to fish that lake. I’ll be fishing the backwaters and Foster Arends Lake here in town this year.
    Thanks, Bill

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

definatly comming up soon. i feel within a week i will be fishing wahkon bay for northerns with the portables.(pulling them out by hand of course) checked the ice today and have anywhere from 4-7″ of ice. here comes the fun stuff now.

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

i did also fail to mention that i wouldnt recemmend anyone else do this. we own a resort so thats why we are out there already. been checking ice and crack conditions thus far. looking foreward to a good ice fishing season. be careful everyone and good luck.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i was out on the open water today. water temp’s were at 34 deg’s. trolled for a few hours with no success. cove bay is froze all the way out to the piont. there were 2 guys that walked out from the public access. i haven’t checked any ice thickness myself this year, maybe tomarrow?? if i had to guess, i would say somewhere around the 4″ mark.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

So what happened after today?

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

We had rain throughout the day yesterday and with the warmer weather today I’m sure the flooded ice will need a couple days to freeze over again. The main lake was open as far as you could see yesterday.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Relax guys, it is early Relax

jldii

Quote:

i did also fail to mention that i wouldnt recemmend anyone else do this. we own a resort so thats why we are out there already. been checking ice and crack conditions thus far. looking foreward to a good ice fishing season. be careful everyone and good luck.

Which resort does your family own?

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

Hidden Bay Resort in wahkon. right next to j&j’s.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

are there people fishing in the bays yet ( cove, isle, macs)

I keep staring at the floor looking for a hole while at work and the last 2 night I woke up hearing the rattle reel go off.

NEED ICE< HELP!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Dang Buck!!! I figured you would want to head back down to the river!!!!!!

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

that cold air in the lungs and ice on the rods must of triggered the itch!!!
    Next weekend I will be in Aberdeen bird hunting so that means I need to squeeze it in this weekend or I might miss the best ice bite of the year!
    did you find your keys?

I can’t wait for first ice sumos!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

yea, I found the keys…… ………Talk about tearing the house apart……..I guess that will teach me to sleep in and be forced to eat a gas station breakfast!!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.