Detroit Lakes Area Ice

• John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Some of the lakes are iced over around DL.Still not safe enough to fish yet though.This weekend’s weather does not look favorable either.Might have to wait another week yet.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Keep the reports coming… lots of guys out there hung trying to decide if they can sneak in one more trip in the boat. Sounds like Mille Lacs will have a good number of guys from the site out there tonight.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Bad news this warmer weather has opened up some of the bigger lakes again. I will try to keep everbody updated on ice conditions as time goes on.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Most lakes are iced over now.I checked Cotton Lake and it had 1 inch on it in front of shore.Give it another week and it will be fishable.Some people are out on the smaller lakes and are catching a few fish.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Any one heard any thing from Otter Tail?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I heard that last weekend it was still open in the middle.It should be froze over completely by this weekend I would guess.I will find out more on Friday.Most of the area smaller lakes are being fished now.Just make sure that you check the ice yourself before heading out.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Thank you. Looking to head up in a couple weeks. Sounds like we should be in good shape.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

How much snow do you have up there?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

We have about 2-6 inches of snow depending on what town your in.Most area lakes have anywhere from 2-6 inches of ice also.I did hear that Ottertail Lake is Froze solid.Give them bigger Lakes more time to make ice before heading out.

jbob
    Hastings, MN

John;
    When are we going out?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I have one more week to Muzzle Load and then we can go.We can go try Little Pine or Big Pine or maybe even Ottertail by then.I hear the fishing is slow right now around here.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

John,

I was thinking of you this past weekend driving back from East Grand Forks. It was a bit slick going over and under bridges in your area. I did see a few portables on a few of the puddles along 94.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

We had a nasty storm which left alot of rain frozen on the power lines and roads and such.We got lucky and our power was not lost.But many were without power for days.You should come up with Jim and we could go ice fishing somewhere.Maybe we could head up to Winnie for a weekend and go perchin.
    John

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Thanks for the info Rigging guy. I will be up for the new year. Hoping to get on some eyes on otter tail. Keep us posted on the ice conditions if you get a chance.

Always appreciated.

jbob
    Hastings, MN

Rigging guy, stop hunting and get fishing. How is the ice up there?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Most of the lakes are 6-12 inches.Some people are driving on Big Pine.I think it is a little to thin for that yet.The fishing has been poor from what I hear for Walleye’s.The Perch and Sunnies and Northerns are doing well.I myself will be heading out to Cotton Lake on Saturday night to try for some big Walleye’s.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Guys make sure you are carefull on the ice.Last weekend a truck went through on Ottertail Lake.It sank in 12 feet of water.Luckily the two guys inside made it out.The ice is not safe for cars or trucks yet.When we got the heavy snow last week the water started flooding ontop of the ice.Not good at all.I checked Cotton Lake out on Saturday and their was about 1 inch of water on top and 8 inches of good ice.The fishing was poor from what I heard over the weekend.The weather is suppose to warm up into the 30’s by Thursday.So if you are coming up to fish plan on using a wheeler or a snowmobile to get to your favorite hole.Stop in and talk to the local bait stores for the most current ice reports.Their is some great snow for snowmobiling and skiing for once.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Thanks Rigging guy. We will be on Otter Tail for the New Year. Hopefully the fishing will be good.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

The reports I am getting from Ottertail are good.Try depths of 16-24ft off of the shoreline breaks.They are having better luck jigging spoons with fatheads.The ice is still not the greatest so be carefull.

jbob
    Hastings, MN

Thanks John

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Have you heard how much Ice is on Otter tail? Will there be enough for the wheeler? I will be up on thursday.

Thanks again.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Their is 6-10 inches of ice on Ottertail lake.Their is some water on top of the ice too.A snowmobiler went in on Rush Lake today by the river area.The weather is not in are favor.They are talking rain on Thursday and heavy snow on Friday along with upper 20’s for temp’s.The fish are biting from what I am hearing.So be carefull and use a sled or wheeler to get you out to your fishing hole.Most of the area lakes are sitting at 6-10 inches of ice.Cotton Lake has been at 8 inches for two weeks now.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Thank you,

We got the same report from the local CO last night. I wish we would get some cold weather with no snow! Have you heard of any good panfish bites in that area?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I heard Big Pine was getting some crappie action and the perch were going on Ottertail.I was out on Silver lake yesterday chasing Bluegills but did not have very good luck. The ice their was around 8 inches and that lake is very small.So be carefull.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Thank you,

We take off about 1200 today. I will post when we get back.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I went fishing last night and the ice was still at 8 inches. With the extra snow we recived the lakes are really flooding. Some poeple are taking their fish houses off the lakes. The good news is the fishing is picking up for Walleye’s and Panfish. So if you plan on coming up here to fish bring a snowmobile or fourwheeler to get you to your fishing hole.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Riggin guy,

Spent the weekend on Otter tail. Spent most of our time around Amor flats. Amasing what the snow did to the ice. It’s been a long while since I’ve seen that much water on the ice.

Any how. They Eye fishin was just OK. We were able to scratch out a livin taking home enough fish for a shore luch and the freeser. We did get into the perch this weekend. Even wound up with a few sumo’s. Spent most of our time on the break straight out from the Red Lantern. Worked the break by night and the open river bed by day. Verticle jigs were the way to go.

Good luck to any one heading up. I will not make it back until the first part of feb.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Chris,
    How much ice did you have on Amor Flats? How big were the Perch measuring? I was going to fish Ottertail last weekend but things went sour so I fished on Cotton Lake.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

There was 10 to 12 inches but tons of water. DO NOT TAKE A VEHICLE!!!!!!!! We only kept perch over 10 inches. Took some picking through but found more than enough. I would expect the Eye bite to get going. Viewed tons on the camera 18 to 2 fow.

If you head out look for any turns in the break. We found most of our fish piled into these cuts.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

The Area Lake are not in good shape.The ice is getting bad.I was fishing on Loon Lake in Vergas and the ice had 6 inches of solid ice with 3 inches of mush. The lakes all have water and slush on them. Most of the bigger lakes permanent houses have been pulled. Be carefull everyone.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.