Where Are You Going To Ice Fish First?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Where are you going to ice fish first? A lake, small river, backwater, pond, where? Why is your first favorite ice fishing spot your favorite?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will most likely find myself on the first walkable ice I can find. Usually, I drive around the area and use the spud to check ice conditions and go from there. In this area, it is usually Fisherman’s Road targeting gills and the occasional crappie and LM bass. Or Lake Onalaska targeting gills, perch, and crappie in the shallows near weedbeds or in the weeds.

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

wait and hear how good the rivers doing or hit up my home town lake backbone good place to warm up the pan fish are still running small but a fish is a fish. im gonna try my luck at tip-ons this year so ill be asking a lot of qustions
    -Aaron

hof
    Rochester, MN

I’ll go to one of the backwater areas of the Mississippi near Wabasha or Kellogg. Probably either Wilcox or the Dike Road. I can hardly wait!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m hoping to talk Scott Steil into taking me out on mille lacs at first ice for some of those mongo eyes!

You listening Scott? Hello? This thing on?!

Testing….testing….123.

John Luebker

Watson – Keep me posted on how it goes. Remember I need a little more ice then you do

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You got it John Hopefully we will be able to meet up this winter and do some fishing again I am hoping by the end of the deer season we have some good ice somewhere close by.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Blue lake, b/t LaX and La cresent

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would like to go out with Mr. Panfish, Mike from HOF…but he likes to walk on that one inch thick ice. I get the willies just thinking about it.

shayla

I’ll have to second what alvinmack5 said!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’m also going to hit him up to do some ice fishing. Only problem is that he likes to sneak off during the week when the rest of us have to work. We need to get him to go on weekends more as he does now have every other weekend off.

Shallow water areas such as backwaters sounds like the place to be early as there should be fish there, water is shallow should you have week ice, don’t have current in most areas, and its ”fish TV” as you can see the fish when in a portable ice house. Small ice jigs tipped with a waxie should work great.
    Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think it was two years ago when he posted that he was fishing on an inch or two of ice…I sent him a pm…telling him that I didn’t want to go to his funeral…or something like that.

He never did tell me he was fishin in 12 inchs of water…what a silly duck!

PS Mike…it’s easier for me to fish during the week than weekends (hint hint…) sorry bill!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I believe it was 2” of ice and still not safe in my mind.

Better during the week huh? Another guy that sneaks away when hes suppose to be working.

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

Should be able to get on Green Lake up on the North end of Desoto Bay this morning.Spring lake (North of PDC)had a good layer of ice on it last night but not good enough to walk on tho.This morning I would be surprised if you couldn’t walk on it with no trouble.After work today(2:00) I will give it the test for sure.Every one becareful.STEVE

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey you guys don’t need to twist my arm very much! Just let me know when you want to go!!!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’m looking forward to try North Lake this year for crappies. Got to keep trying each year to see/find when they will be there in good numbers. The past few years have left a lot to be desired.

But, as long as the river is open, I’m chasing eyes!!!!!

Maybe we could have an early GTG up on the pond for first ice, where we caught all the walleyes??????? Do you think they are still there?????

scottsteil
    Central MN

I will be on Mille Lacs first ice….Fishing with James I guess But, seriously that is where I will be first ice and you are welcome to join me James. First ice on Mille Lacs is tough to beat. It is the ONLY lake and time of year that I guarentee clients a fish over 27 inches. It has been 6 years and I still have not been dissapointed. This year the numbers are there, the size is there, the forage is down some and they are REALLY FAT

fireline
    Rochester

Scott , when do you think first ice will be ? What part of the lake do you fish ?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I would really like to try for some early ice perch at a local area which we call “shady Maple”
    Just south of La Crosse…
    This spot has been really good to us in the past for not only a lot of big 12-13 inch perch, but we have caught nice crappie and i caught my biggest walleye there on a tip up over 3 feet of water. It was 8 pounds. We catch a lot of perch there in the early season either jigging with waxy or tip up with a crappy minnow. The perch there were so active, that we once caught one that regurgitated a 4 inch shiner.
    THe only bad part is once the ice gets thick, and i mean up to 18 inches, It is tough to fish. The water gets dirty, and there is only about a foot of it under the ice.
    Good early and late season spot though!
    If anybody wants to join me out there, shoot me a PM and we will arange a date

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Got my eyes on first ice on Mille Lacs also. Looking to hit some of the areas we have been catching fish the last few weeks trolling up there. Alot of these spots are just a stones throw off the shore line and landings. Been setting way points on a few of my last trips up there and there does seem to be areas that hold better concentrations of fish than others. These area the areas to target.
    Approach is going to be mostly tip ups with lights on for fishing after dark. Most likely sitting in the truck on shore watching for lights and sending someone out line tending every 20 minutes or so. Tending is basic jigging of the lines and making sure they are not fouled on the weeds.

Scott. What do find for better baits up there? Figuring for minnows shiners or maybe small sucker minnows. Also thinking about some jigging raps or salmo darters for jigging if we get that active. Would think that actively jigging the lures to attract fish and then letting the lures hover to trigger strikes. Not alot different than what they are seeing the lures do now. Also figuring on setting my minnows off the bottom as compaired to on the bottom. Here again this comes from trolling for these fish. Most seem to have no problem coming up after a lure. Some actual seem to hit the lures just under the surface.

I have never ice fish these areas before but am looking forward to giving it a try. Cant believe these fish would leave the area just because ice has formed.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I can look back for a few years in the reservation book. One year we pulled a permanent house on the 14th by ATV and booked it the 15th. That ice was marginal to do so, but that house was booked solid through new years. By the 21st I was driving my full size pickup on.

First ice on Mille Lacs for me is when I can go by ATV. Most of the fishing on Mille Lacs is a little ways from shore and walking pulling the gear is not fun. I will be on the ice fishing by Friday Dec 16th. Some of the lake will still be open but we usually end up fishing by open water the first few days. If you fish Mille Lacs a lot early ice you learn what areas don’t freeze up and what do. Every year we are 40 ft from open water for a couple days until she locks up.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Well, I can’t give away all my tricks, I still have to guide this winter But, yes you are on the right track. Fall trolling spots are a good spots to start, as well as shallow gravel areas that do not produce in the fall. Shallow water is your best bet for a real pigs early ice.

Tip-ups with shiners are always a great bet for big fish and I use them as a second line. One thing I can tell you is 90% of the trophy fish I catch on Mille Lacs come on the Glow Devil Jigging Spoons. Jigging raps may work, I rarely use them on the Pond. The Glow Devils always work, I haven’t found a need to try anything else.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the help Scott.
    Looking forward to getting the chance to tangle with one of those big pike up there also. Caught a 39.5″ on my last outing. That would be something else threw the ice.

Now Im starting to think tonight might not be to bad up there.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I would love to get up to Mille Lacs just once in my lifetime to try for some eyes, through the ice or open water. From all the pics and stories, it must be one heck of a fishery. Someday I hope to get it done.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I will be hitting Little Rock Lake for early ice just like I do every year. Catching jumbo perch, walleyes, and hopefully some nice crappies. I may make a trip to Mille Lacs also. From there it is on to Rush Lake and some other locals. I will be on Lake of the Woods in January. Last year I fished Rush Lake into late March and I plan to do it again. The last time out I had to cross 20 feet of shallow water to get off the lake.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Tonight will be a zoo on the lake but the fishing will be FANTASTIC!!! You may have to break shore ice at a few landing but it will be worth it, no doubt!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I remember every first ice on milly fishing within 20 yds of white caps. The only things you need on milly first ice is a tip up, shiner, and a glow devil. No doubt this year will be better than the past two years. The forage is back down and those piggys can’t help themselves. I’ll have a lot of time during the week this year. Hopefully I’ll have to start a braggin thread. I’m sure there will be some truck pooling. Its pretty bad when you have to decide between heating your place or filling up the fishing rig. See ya’ll there. My picture was taken first ice. Thats a 28. Man it was cold that day. But there are a few shallow lakes that promise great eye slaying before milly is ready. All these decisions

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

might have to convince my dad to take us up there for a weekend. Man that looks like a blast. Walleye fishing is pretty fun from a boat..whether you are trolling or jigging, but what a blast on the ice with a 24 inch rod jigging up 6-10 pound fish!
    I might have to get a trip up there. What would you suggest for fishing eyes through the ice on the river though? might try for some this year..?? We’ll see

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I wouldn’t mind a GTG. I talk so many of you guys on line it would be nice to meet some faces. Only one problem though……How does a guy keep his spots? We’d probably end up in a bar. But nothing wrong with that either I guess. Anyone ever been to the sportsman’s lodge for mardi gras night? I know a guy who dances like this

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I will be heading to lakes in the Amery, WI. area, probably Big Round first. Always had good luck with the pannies. And the ramp is nice to get on the ice.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.