Any opinions on meal worms?

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I’m like to hear some pros and cons on using meal worms for ice fishing. How well do they stay on the hook? Any presentations work better than others? Any species prefer them over say, waxies? Are they a popular ice bait?

Thanks all.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve used them on lakes in the past for sunnies…not for a couple years though. One reason is that they aren’t readily avaiable unless you buy them through mail order.

Most of the time they work well…but they when the sunnies get finicky and just sit there smelling your bait or try sucking it in, it seems like they are too big..and maybe hard. A wax worm on a tear drop swings easier in to the mouth of a gil and is smaller. I’ve seen this by using a camera.

I’ve put a meal worm down and if I didn’t have a camera, I would think there was nothing in the hole…using a waxy..fish on!

So, I guess what I’m saying is that when the gills are biting…it’s not a problem and anytype bait will work. When they become finicky smaller (wax worm) is better.

Last I checked they were slightly more expensive too.

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

Mealworms are ok, but I think they are subpar to waxies and maggots. I get my mealworms free as my grandparents run a dairy farm and have a grain bin that I can get them from easily most times of the year. I agree that sometimes they can be a bit bulky and hard for more finicky under ice panfish, but they still catch fish and are better than nothing a lot of the time. I personally wouldnt buy them if I could get access to waxies and maggots.

goody

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

OK, thanks guys, that pretty much answered my question. I was just looking for another bait and presentation to try and up my odds.
    Thanks

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Maggots are the easiest to keep alive. Freshwater shrimp are a great bait too and easy to keep alive. You can order both online at http://www.vadosbait.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.