Jigging up walleyes

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I started going after the perch heavily last season, especially with the new Vex, they’re a blast, and taste great! I used a swedish pimple and a minnow head.
    I’m now thinking if I should use basically the same technique for walleye just a little larger? Should I present it close to the bottom like for perch or up higher? Any prefered bait presentations of the group? Any help would be great.

shaley
    Milford IA

Jiggin raps are the norm here, I like a jigging spoon myself tipped with a minnow. Have also caught many on a ratso and a waxie. Gentz bugs in glow red tipped also works well here.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

90% of the time when I’m around active eyes and hopping around I’m using a spoon tipped with head or whole. Now with your new vex you have options. Its really all up to the fish. Often times the fish will give you time to figure out what it wants other times you’re given little time if any. Theres been time where I bring em in 1 ft off and have to set it on the bottom in order for them to pick it up. 80% of the time 1 ft off the bottom will make on oncoming fish visible on your vex if you don’t see him moving. Bang it on the bottom then let it sit. If he still doesn’t hit it bring it up away from him and see if you’ll get him to chase it. Theres nothing more fun than watching the chase on the vex and calling the strike. If all else fails just hang it above his head still and he may commit to it. So I guess if they’re grabbing it off the bottom, then you need to have it always on top of them. This also gives you a better view of what the fish is doing. Never think that your vex only finds the fish, it is the most valuable to tell you what the fish want. I could never imagine fishing without it just for the simple fact that I wouldn’t know how the fish below me were responding. So to answer your question in a sentence, let the vex tell you what to do. Good fishing to ya

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I like spoons and Matt stated some good techniques. The last few years I have also had good luck with just a lead-head jig and minnow. Make sure the size and weight of your jig or spoon is proper for the depth your fishing. Make sure its heavy enough to take the slack out of the line.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.