Tip ups??

• redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

What do you prefer to use for the main line on a tip up??
    Then what do you rig it with after the main line? And also what is you favorite bait to use for northerns.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

No matter what I’m fishing I’ll always have a 25 LB braided backing and usually tie on a 10 or 8 lb mono leader of 10 ft or so. For northerns you’ll want a heavier leader. Can’t go wrong with a plain hook and a shiner

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

For Northerns I like 80# braided. You can feel it in your hands on cold days. I use a 30-50# steel leader. I use the biggest smelt I can find. I run 2 hooks of the treble through the back of the smelt as close to the balancing point as posible. I then wrap a small amount of thread around the treble and smelt. If you get short hits you won’t loose your smelt. I also when shove a nail in the bottom of the smelt if needed to get it to hang the way I want it to. Sounds like a crude rig, but very effective on Northerns

On the Mn. side it does not hurt one bit to put a small spinner above your hook to make it leagle. Remember, when Northerns are feeding, they are not scared of anything! There just hungry.

Good luck. Tip Ups are a blast

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ll second the suggestion about smelt. I’ve seen that presentation out fish live bait on many occasions. The only problem is finding them. Cubs has smelt but they’re cleaned and the heads are cut off so they aren’t very good.
    I’ve had my best luck with big stinky ones. Tip up fishing is a hoot!

Rootski

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I wouldn’t use the braided if I were you. It tangles too easy when you have a pile of it laying on the ice. Get the plastic coated tip up line, you’ll be tons happier using that.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

i use teflon coated 30# test if i remember right. then i throw on a 12 leader and a treble hook with a shinner or smelt works good to

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I wouldn’t use the braided if I were you. It tangles too easy when you have a pile of it laying on the ice. Get the plastic coated tip up line, you’ll be tons happier using that.

Some what true. You cannot spool as much coated line though. Also if you keep your cool and release your line down wind while hand over hand you will stay away from tangles and, make sure your pals don’t walk through it

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    OK next question When do you set the hook? Keep in mind that I want to release all fish caught.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

usually there is a stop in the run with the bait. get the slack out and be gentle to feel, and let em have it. I don’t think there really is a finesse to it. Just lay into em’

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

I run the cloth black “ice line” for my main line, whether it be my larger predator rigs or my more finesse tip ups. For a leader, most of mine are set up for walleye so I am running 6lb Vanish on them. My heavier tip ups for pike I run steel leaders with quick-strike rigs.

As far as setting the hook, I wait for that lull in the run and pull my tip up out of the water quickly but gently, letting the fish continue to run if it needs to. Sometimes in the winter the pike have lost or are losing their teeth and have more senstive mouths so they “gum” the baits rather than thrash them. slowly pull on the line until you feel it come taught, then drive the hook home….not a huge and heavy jerk, but a solid tug to bury the hook….be ready for the run after that and keep tension as needed and pull up your fish!

goody

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

i always pull the tip up from the hole when the spool has slowed down and then once you pick up the line the fish will start to run after you pick up the slack. then i set the hook hard! nail the thing your not going to hurt a big northern to bad!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Tip ups are great for walleyes. I like to set them up on an edge of structure or on top. This helps me with fish movements and tells me when to move. My basic tip up set up is nylon tip up line with a flourocarbon leader. There are endless rigging options but I like a rattle jig with a minnow or just a colored plain hook. I set the hook as soon at the flag is up. I grab the top of the spool and pull straight up.

For Pike I like a quick-strike rig with a small gold or silver swedish pimple tied above the rig about 10 inches with the hooks removed and a dead cisco or live minnow. Again setting the hook as soon as the flag flies..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.