walleye on tip ups

• zoomer
    Twin Cities

I am fairly new to the ice fishing scene. I have found it fairly easy to catch northerns on tip ups but was wondering if people target walleye on tip us and if so what technique do they use? or would I be better off with a jig and a minnow, if so what jigs seem to out perform others?
    Zoomer

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I will sometimes use a tip up for walleyes with a small jig or plain hook and set it up about 10 feet away from the hole I am jigging in with a spoon or sweedish pimple.They both are effective and work well in combination and make it easy to fish 2 lines.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

What kinda of plain hook? A single or a small treble hook?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I usually use a single colored hook,red mostly.

superdave
    NE IA

Do you just use the black tip up line, and then tie off a leader to it? I’m making a trip to Waubay this winter, thats what I thought about doint, just put a snap swivel on the ends, and then have leaders pre-rigged for Northerns or walleyes.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I tipup quite a bit for walleyes. I just use the colored gammy hooks and a sinker. Use the plastic coated tipup line and tie a swivel on the end, and use a flouro leader.

Big shiners or smallish suckers are usually the bait of choice for me. If the minnows are too big or powerful, clip their tails and they won’t be able to trip the flag.

I’ve caught more big walleyes tipupping than any other way on the ice.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’ve seen some of the biggest eyes come off of tip ups. Those big girls just aren’t as quick as they used to be. If I’m sticking to one general area I think its important to have a tip or bobber set out. By hole hopping and having an inactive line, You’re killing two birds with one stone. I’m not sure if you’re aware of the technicalities of using treble hooks on tip ups though. As for leaders, I think instead of using a snap or swivel its important to tie the lines directly together to avoid catching the edge of the ice. Can’t remember the name of that knot.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I use a #10 trebble. You will need to slip a small spinner on the line to make it legal in Minnesota. (Size 0 or 00).

Love chasing those flags!!

-J.

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

( Matt, it’s called a “blood knot”)

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

I wouldnt see a problem with using a snap swivel to connect leader to tip up line Dave. I personally use a barrel swivel to connect them so a snap wouldnt be any different. I can see why it could be a problem, but personally have never had a swivel catch under the edge of the ice and I run tip ups quite a bit as a second line.

goody

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Tip ups are great for walleyes. I like to set them up on an edge of structure or on top. This helps me with fish movements and tells me when to move. My basic tip up set up is nylon tip up line with a flourocarbon leader. There are endless rigging options but I like a rattle jig with a minnow or just a colored plain hook. I set the hook as soon at the flag is up. I grab the top of the spool and pull straight up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.