what’s the best portable out there? *DELETED*

• jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

Post deleted by jwfilm1

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Used to have a frabill. HATED it. Pain in the butt to get the poles in with even the slightest breeze. Of course, this was an older collapsable one, not a clamshell type. I now have a two person fish trap. Have liked it so far. I looked at the Frabills, but the seats didn’t seem stable enough to me.

John Luebker

For a one man I cant ask for anyting more than the eskimo. Just don’t buy it from cabelas. they are like $100 more.

I also have the clam 5600 for 3 people and I really like that as well. it is over 6ft tall and room enough to sit three guys.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Check out Polar Sport. I think they are as good of house as there is on the market. They are considered top of the line though. If you are looking for a durable house, that can be towed long distances, Polar Sport is the one you are looking for. If you can find one, the Nordic 2 man by polar is a great package. Get the deluxe seats

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I have had my Fish trap guide series for 3 to 4 years now. It has been a great unit. If it takes my abuse it can take most anything. Can’t compare to anything else. Since it is my first.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I think Otter and Eskimo are the two best, hands-down. Otters are a little heavier and have more accessories available, but the Eskimos are cheaper and just as good for 90% of the ice fishermen out there. I got an Eskimo three man last year and couldn’t be happier. Fleet Farm had the best prices I found.

superdave
    NE IA

I’ll give my vote to eskimo to. A polar sport or Otter would be nice, but for bang for the buck Eskimo is the way to go!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Used to be pro-otter But I bought my first Polarsport after fishing out of a friends. Until you have used a polarsport for a season, you lack the judgement to pick the best portable. Think of a polar sport as a refined otter. I’ve fished out of everything; 95% of my fishing is on the ice, in or around my polarsport. I can’t say enough good things about them to do them justice.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Polars for me too. Gotta love that black canvas on sunny days. Even on the coldest days it heats up well from just the sun. Otter would be second choice.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Polar is a tough shack and tough to beat..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I went from no ice fishing, to a bucket to a Fleet Farm one man to a Polar 3 man…

I haven’t a clue what otters, eskimos ect are like on the ice…but I haven’t found one thing to complain about with my Polar….well, maybe that I can’t carry it in one hand off the ice like a bucket…but that would be it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have had a variety of portables over the last few years. All seem to have their good things and bad. Currently I have a 1 man Fish Trap scout and a Otter Magnum Lodge. I like the trap for its weight and moving around alot. I wish it was a little bigger, but that is the only downside to it.
    The Otter is great for 2 people and hauling all your gear. The material on them is top notch from the canvas to the sled. The bad part is they are heavy and do not pull to easy across snow. The Otters have plenty of room for a heater, vex,2-4 holes, and other gear.
    I personally will never buy another suitcase style shanty. I have taken too many rides across the ice on windy days Not a fun experience during early ice Basically what a person needs to do is determine what they want to have in a shelter and then go and sit in as many different styles as you can and decide from there.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Another thing to consider is how you use your portable. I tow my units quite often, many time for 20 plus miles one way. They get loaded and unloaded several times a day. They haul a lot of gear and sometime in tandem. When you use them the way I do, Polar is the only choice in my opinion. They are built to withstand the type of use I give them.

If you don’t fish a lot and just use your stuff on nice days, fair whether fishing, there are many brands that will meet or exceed your needs. If this is the case, pick a light house that is easy to load and unload. Stay away from houses with Plastic floors…get a flip top style. Don’t buy a one man house unless you are a diehard. Get the standard 2 man style flip top. Most houses on the market are good these days, so get something affordable.

But, as I said earlier, if you really use your equipement and want something that is going to last for a LONG time. Get a Polar. The Nordic from Polar is a great value and meets most peoples needs. The 3 man that BrianK has is an AWESOME house. That thing has tons or room, is very warm and can take any kind of beating you can dish out!

No matter what house you buy, get comfortable seats. The seats are the most important part of the house in my opinion. Most people do a lot of sitting in their portables and nice padded seats, with a back are a must. The deluxe seats from Polar are great. They are padded and have a curved back on them that flips up. That is my 2 cents about portables.

emover
    Malcom, IA

As Wats said sit in as many as you can and get a feel for them. I did this at the St Paul Ice show a few years ago, and it was a huge help. All the brands were there and set up so you could get in-out, sit in, really inspect them. I think there are several good ones, but depending on how you will use it and what fits you best, is what will make you happy with one. Good Shopping, and have FUN on the ice!

dave

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

thanks for everybody’s input. I went last year to the Ice show in St paul and decided to go with the one that “everybody” was raving about…the Yukon by Fishrap. BRRRR! The canvas is thin and light blue, you can’t get a tight seal over the hitch (the canvas lays on the hitch), the hitch exploded on me up on Rainy last year and the sled got caved in in the front from all the slush…Their cust service was awesome to deal with and TOTALLY replaced the
    damaged parts. I’m debating whether to go with an Otter or a Frabill Speedshak or now the Polar. I always thought the Polar’s were the “cheapies” of the bunch. Thoughts?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I had a Shapell that my son Nate and I fished out of together, [he keeps it at his place now], and since he lives out on his own now I bought, and so did he, a Fish Trap Scout for quick one man ice fishing times. The Otter would have been real nice to have but with lifting restrictions I went for the Fish Trap Scoutt as it was the lightest. I haven’t gotten alot of use out of it yet but that will change this year I plan. It fits in the back end of my Geo car which makes it perfect for me but may not be for someone else as its a one man house.

What would be nice is if everyone would report on how well they like their house after they use it a few times again this year, what they don’t like about it, what they would hope to see changed over the next few years, and what kind/style they think they may replace the one they have with when its time to replace it.

Thanks, Bill

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Thats the only problem with polar sport right now is that they have had a tough time getting they’re product out there. Now I don’t know what they’ve done or are doing to fix this, but it definately needs to be adressed. I’ve only owned otter and now polar sport, and I now consider polar sport to be the “caddy” of ice shacks. They play close attention to detail and customer reports. Some of the more obvious detail is the increase in flat sled area on the bottom, the extra overhead room, treated canvas on the inside, extra support poles for the windy days, and easy and effective canvas attachment, a revolutionary tandem towing system, a large skirt, and a custom sled design. I beleive that these detailed features set their products above all. For instance if you’re a traveling fisherman who is in every condition, polarsport offers the dimensions that have you covered no matter what.
    There is a personal history between polar and otter. I’m not going into detail here but lets just say the man behind polar is somewhat responsible for otter’s success. Its a sad story. You brought tears to my eyes with the “cheapies” comment

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I have used fish trap and Otter. I now have 2 Otters and wouldn’t use any thing else. They are easy to set up and very durable. They have a great hitching system for towing behind a sled or wheeler. These are also made in MN.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have lived on the Mississippi River all my life, and I spend a lot of time out on the ice come winter.And when it comes to portability and reliability there is only one ice house for me…That is the Otter Fish House . Very seldom do I get to tow my house out onto the ice, I pull it by hand every where I go. Thru the ice covered back sloughs, over islands, which a lot of the times I have to pull my house over downed trees, thru thicket, in places most deer hunters would go, and it holds up to the most rugged terrain a guy can put it thru and mine still looks brand new !!

I have the full bench seat, that allows for more area to sit in my house. If I’m by myself and I want to sit right in the middle, I can. If I get some company for a while I just slide over to the side and there is plenty of room.

The Otters have Square Tubing with Ultra-Glide System
    (Prevents square tubes from jamming or sticking),
    Extended Headroom
    Windows on All Sides
    License & Address Holder
    Two-Way Zippered Door
    Two Top Vents
    Reflective Material on All Sides
    Extra-Long Skirting

I have tried several other Ice houses and most of them are good, but there are good, better and the best, and I choose to use the best in my opinion. The Otter!!

sdladwig

As emover stated the best fish house is different for everybody. I have an otter and a frabil speed shack. If I am by myself and moving a lot I love the otter for quick set-up and easy to move. If I take the wife I love the speed shack you put it up and you stay very warm and it reminds me of a permenant house. You don’t want to do a lot of moving with the frabil because it does take some time to bring it down and set it back up. What I recomend to people if you are a run and gunner and like to move a lot a drill a bunch of holes get an otter. If you are a person who drill there holes and likes to stay put and just relax then a frabil speed shack would work great. I have never had experience with the polar so I can say they are good or bad. Just take into mind what type of ice fisherman you are and look accordingly.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Bringing this back to the top for those who are looking for a new ice fishing house for this season or maybe looking at getting their first house.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.