Vexilar or Marcum?

• shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

I’m looking to purchase a sonar setup for the upcoming ice fishing season. If i bought one today, I’d have to say I’m partial to vexilar, only because that is the one I see most often, and have used the most in the past. Can you guys give me your opionion between Vexilar or Marcum. Thanks,

Lars

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Marcum all the way, a couple quick reasons, adjustable zoom on the lx3 is way, way better than only the bottom 6 feet, seperation on the Marcum is much better, the vex almost looks blurry next the the marcum. I had one of each, and I just like everything better about the Marcum, better case, better charging system, better seperation on the graph, and I could see fish tight to the bottom better than the vex could. Like I said I had them both and compared them side by side, and sold my vex, never to look back, not that I was unhappy at all with the vex, the marcum just offered better and more bang for the buck. Durability wise, I probably have more hours on my marcum then 95% of the ones sold, I use mine year round, and have not had a problem, though I haven’t experinced it personally, I’ve also heard marcum has good customer service too, and are located up in brainerd if you didn’t know that.

I’ll be picking up my second marcum this winter, so I can have one for wife and me.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have the Marcum as well….love it. The walleye brat bought one for herself for this year as well. You might want to check with Scott Steil he is sponsored by Marcum and occasionally has units for sale.
    JB

rickyfishes
    Southeastern MN

Have you considered the lowrance X67c? I have owned a vexilar, and currently use the marcum, but last year I purchased the ice package of the X67c and found it to be the most suitable for my needs. It has the flasher screen for real time display along with the standard charting screen which is easier for some of the people I fish with to interpret. You also have the option to have split and multiple screens along with the broad menu choices. I just wish I would have purchased the unit with the intergrated GPS, so I didn’t have to carry around my handheld. The color is brilliant and you will find the viewing on the brightest day, easy. Another advantage is the run time per charge is approximately 60-80 hours.

I would highly advise at least looking at one of these units. For about $60 more you can purchase the dash mount and boat puck and use it for the open water season too.

scottsteil
    Central MN

If you are in the market for a flasher, there are some changes coming down the line from MarCum. They have raised the bar in 3 color flasher technology. The new LX-5 will be the cadillac of all units. These units will be available in the next couple weeks. The LX-3 has been slightly designed and is now called the LX-3TC, meaning true color. Both the LX-3TC and the LX-5 will have new colors and a LED lights that are brighter and crisper than in the past.

If you are looking for a real steal on last years LX-3’s, Check out my add in the classified section.

I have a few LX-3’s from last year that are new in the box, never used for $300.

I also have some demo units that for $260 that were used and them have been gone over by MarCum Service.

If you are interested in one of the units I have for sale, shoot me an email. [email protected]

scottsteil
    Central MN

Here is a link to a thread on the NEW MarCum units if you are interested.

web page

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

I’ve had 4 Marcum’s. Had problems with 3 of them and decided to move back to a Vex 18. The Marcum’s are easier to read, MUCH quieter and have a better charging system. The problems I had were a result of the transducer every time. Summer time, no problem. The ice-ducer was the problem. I think this comes from the fact that they use plasic connectors unlike the Vexilar. Marcum’s customer service is awesome…however if you are up on LOTW and can’t
    see your bait all the customer service in the world doesn’t do you a bit of good. Each unit has it’s pros and cons, I just have had better luck with the durability of the Vex. 2 of my co-workers are having the same experience with their Marcums as well. Good luck.

scottsteil
    Central MN

MarCum got a bad batch of Transducers a couple years ago. They did not fail tests immediately, but after time. It was a problem with the epoxy in the transducer. They have replaced over 80% of those transducers already, but know there are a few out there yet.

MarCum has the best customer service and I stand behind that statement. I too had several bad transducers from that batch. The new transducers work like they are suppose to, and to date, not one has failed. If you have a transducer issue, contact MarCum customer service. There are still a few bad transducers out there.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I was all about vexilar for years and everyone around me began going to marcum, some were sponsered others thought they were better. I’m never one to jump on the wagon. I said I’d wait a few years and see how they pan out. I liked the Marcum LX3 the first time I used it. But I had one request I remember telling Scott and Adam. I said I’ll buy one when the colors are better. Sure as Sh** this year scott comes prancin out saying they changed em again. Now that the colors are the same if not better I’ll be looking more closely at buying an LX5. Its obvious they’re looking to please,…heck you have to if you’re going to overtake Vexilar.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well, might as well toss in my two cents. I’ll try to keep it short.

I bought a used Vex from Crossing Eyes…it was about 6 years old (I think) when I got it. It seemed to have a lot if interferance in it..so I ran down to Bloomington’s service center. While I watched, the fella replaced the transducer, replaced the motor added some styrofoam, changed the brushes…and….I stopped him because I didn’t want to put in $100. more into the second hand unit…he kept going and re siliconed the motor housing. Gave me a bunch of tips on using it…checked the battery…and handed me the bill….

NO CHARGE!

He new I didn’t buy it new. UN believable!

Then Scott came out with his reconditioned Marcums last year so I bought one…I thought it would be nice to have two units, one for the wife…When I recieved this “reconditioned” 3…I thought they made a mistake…no way could you tell it was ever used. Looked brand spanking new in the box.

In using them side by side…I prefered the Marcum…for many of the reasons above. Not that the Vexlars aren’t good..but if I had a choice between the two…I would grab the Marcum first.

Don’t know about there customer service, haven’t needed it yet…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.