New auger size

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Hi all,
    I’m getting the gear ready for the upcoming ice season and am debating trading in or selling the 10″ auger I currently have for a new, smaller size. I basically go for panfish, perch, walleye and an occasional tip-up for snot rockets. Any one have a suggestion on a suitable size (and brand) that would work best for all the species I fish for?

“I hate winter, but love ice fishing”

Don

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I used to work at a sporting goods store, and we sold more strikemasters, and had more good reports for them than anyother. And we sold anywhere from 30-40 a week. I would suggest a strikemaster 8 inch lazermag express. I think that is the name or close enough.

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

For my hand auger (a Lazer strikemaster) I go with a 6″ and for my power auger I have an 8″ Jiffy. Love both. Only needed the 8″ hole once as far as fish goes…that 10 lb channel cat wouldnt have made it through the 6″ hole. Like the 8″ for more room with my vex and aqua vu running down the same hole. 10″ is just too big in my opinion for most uses…other than maybe sight fishing….but still awefully big.

goody

pickeral_boy

I have a LazerExpress 8″ and it never let me down. Last year on the Red near Lockport we had to go through about 3 feet of ice and it took about 10 seconds a hole.
    B

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I used to only use the Lazer Mag Xpress 8″. Last year I used the Lazer 224 8″ 4 blade. I liked it a lot. They now have an 8″ 4 stroke that is about 25% lighter. Something worth looking into.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.