Jiffy recoil problems

• mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I have a Legend Lightning that the recoil stopped catching when I pulled the rope. The rope just hangs there. So..being the “I can fix anything” typical male, …. I took it apart. The plastic wheel that holds the rope also connects onto the spring…somehow …….Does anyone know how the recoil spring stays on the spool so it can coil up? I don’t see a holder for the spool. I see where it goes on the cover but not the spool. BTW…I need to put the spring back in now as I pulled on it too hard and went “BOING”! Cut my finger trying to get it back in. It still isn’t in but one thing at a time. I have to get the spool thing figured out first. Thanx

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Not sure but my buddy has an Eskimo auger that the string would not go back in. Took it apart and a plastic piece broke off that makes the rope go back in.

Make sure nothing is broken.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Have you tried to duct tape it? That stuff works great.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

There should be a piece on the underside of the rewind(white plastic part) that will catch your spring and allow it to coil. If that is broken off you will have to purchase a new one otherwise improvise some how. Another thing is never take your recoil spring out!!!! Use a pair of locking pliers(vise grips) to hold the spring in place and wrap the spring around. If all else fails, they are fairly inexpensive and check the manufacture of the engine. Go down to your local small engine shop and get a recoil spring. You can also order them from places such as Maple Grove Distributing. Be careful not to break the spring or kink it. Good luck. If this does not work drink a couple of beers and then try again!!!!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Have to agree with everyone that the recoil is a tough thing to get in and get in properly. I do some small engine work, and there are small differences in recoils. Some have a “t” shapped hole and you have to turn the spring on the side and slide it in, and others have a loop that slides in on the plastic recoil that has to hook. If it was me, I would purchase a new spring, plastic catch and rebuild the whole thing. It seems like those plasic pieces are never the same again after the spring beats them up once. You can get some parts from an auto supply store (NAPA, Bumper to Bumper etc, but most will have to go through the engine manufacturer. Good luck, and watch out for that spring. A pair of safety glasses are worth their weight in gold when that spring comes flying out.

BG

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.