Tip Up Season

• jhalfen

WI Game fish season closes at the end of the day on March 6. Bass are game fish. Therefore, no fishing for bass/pike/walleyes/etc after Sunday.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Yes, you can still use your tip ups for perch and crappies.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

So if you are using tip ups for perch and you git a bass or what not, if you let it go, your ok?

jhalfen

It all depends. If you’re using a big golden shiner with a treble hook to fish for perch, you’ll have a hard time convincing the warden that you’re not targeting gamefish. WI fishing regs state that it is illegal to target fish that are out of season, even if you release them immediately. Here’e the text from page 7 of the 04/05 regs:

It is illegal…..to fish for a species of fish during the closed season for that species (includes catch and
    release fishing).

Now if your tip-up is baited with a small fathead and a #6 hook, you might be able to convice the warden that you’re really using your tip-up to fish for perch or crappies. You’ll have to decide for yourself if you’re honestly fishing for panfish using your tip-ups, or if you’re really out there to catch some out-of-season pike or bass.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah, we wont be using the big shiner and treb, just a fathead. Thanks.

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

if i wear you i would use medium shiners thats what i have had the luck with bass latley

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.