Extending Gamefish Season

• nubbinbuck

I had read awhile back that there was some talk about trying to extend the Gamefish season till the end of Feb – much like WI does.

Last Sat, I was listening to KFAN outdoors, and this subject was brought up again. Tackle Terry was stating that there was support, but some resort owners on Mille Lacs were against this idea, as it would make life difficult for them in getting their shacks off the lake (if weather turned sour).

My questions are as follows:

a. what is your opinion?
    b. should resort owners have ANY say in how long a season goes?

I would be for extending the season. I don’t think the end of Feb. encroaches on any spawning in MN lakes. I also find it hard to believe that resort owners should have any say in the matter. It should be purely based on science, with some public opinion mixed in.

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

If the gamefish season was extended it doesn’t mean that the the date to get the perm shacks off the ice needs to. Even if it did the resort owner should remove their shacks when they feel its needed not when it’s dictated. I agree that extending the season would probably not have any adverse effects on the spawn.

scottsteil
    Central MN

At the Mille Lacs Fishery Input meeting the resort owners were in favor of extending the season and were lobbying for it.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I think we go untill March 31st.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I wouldn’t go until March 31st, but I think it should be extended at least until you have to have your fishhouse off the lake and maybe up until you have to have your house off up north. Which is, what? March 15?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.