auger questions.

• nubbinbuck

Hello all,
    Unfortunately, I don’t have time right now to do an extensive search on this topic.

1. Does anyone have info on the Strikemaster Lazer Express model? Is it a significant upgrade from a Mag 2000?
    2. Was the 3 blade Ultra considered a design failure? We had many issues in Canada with keeping the blades clear of ice. Did the 224 fix this issue? Also, If you could get an Ultra for basically 60% of normal cost, would you?
    3. Are 3hp engines notoriously fickle? I’ve fished with guys who owned the 3hp Jiffys, and they always have issues with them. Has there been some improvements the last few years?

Thanks!

mjm

I have a 10″ 224 I have a problem gettting throw the last 2″ of ice it binds up. called strike master they said they had some promblem with the 10″ blades send me two set right away. Its better but still a little problem when the frist set of blades open the hole the bigger ones grab and stop the auger.and thats letting the auger work and not pushing down on it. its my first power auger maybe its me

emover
    Malcom, IA

Nubbin, I am no expert, but I have done a lot of looking as I really would like a power auger.

Quote:

1. Does anyone have info on the Strikemaster Lazer Express model? Is it a significant upgrade from a Mag 2000?

I believe the Mag 2000 has a flat or chipper type blade, while the lazer express has the curved lazer type blade.

Quote:

2. Was the 3 blade Ultra considered a design failure? We had many issues in Canada with keeping the blades clear of ice. Did the 224 fix this issue? Also, If you could get an Ultra for basically 60% of normal cost, would you?

I think the 8″ 224 has proven to be very good. The 10″ still has some problems, although I have heard Strikemaster is working on them. I am not very well versed on the Ultra, although I remember reading a lot of stuff about them last year. Considering the customer service of Strikemeaster the 60% deal might be worth it.

Quote:

3. Are 3hp engines notoriously fickle? I’ve fished with guys who owned the 3hp Jiffys, and they always have issues with them. Has there been some improvements the last few years?

From what I have heard the 2hp is plenty for most all circumstances and they seem alot less issue prone than the 3hp models.

I know if had my druthers and the cash, I would have an 8″ 224, or lazermag express, or a Jiffy Steal 2hp 8″. That’s just my wish list.

dave

scottsteil
    Central MN

I am on Strikemasters Pro Staff and this is my take on it. Strikemaster had problems with the 10″ 4 blade. However, most of the 8″ 4 blades cut very well. One of mine did not. It was catching on the bottom of the hole. I exchanged that one out. The new one cuts like a dream. I have several Lazer Mags also that I keep because they cut so good still. I went with the 7″ this year and that thing REALLY cuts.

To your question, if you can get one for 60% off I would take it. If it has ANY issues Strikemaster will get them taken care of. Their customer service is second to none in my opinion.

Most of the 224’s out there cut very well. There was just a few of the 8″ and most of the 10″ were off at first. They do have that corrected now.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have an 8 inch Lasermag Xpress with the 2 hp engine and it cuts like a wild machine..I am delighted with it and won’t own anything but a Strikemaster. My buddy bought the Laser 2000 and it also seems to cut well, just a little slower (apparent) than my Xpress.

clarkk
    Eagan, MN

I have Lazer Mag Express 8″ and really like it. It’s light, starts easy, and cuts very fast. It’s an excellent auger!

red89
    Hudson

I also have the Lazer express 2hp auger (8″). I would definately recommend it to anyone wanting to get a power auger. They are light, cut fast, reliable, the list can go on and on. A lot of guys make the mistake of thinking they need to spend more money and get a 3hp auger, but a 2hp cuts just as good, I guess it’s all about personal preference.

red89

moby1
    Maple Grove MN

I just got rid of a 4 year old mag 2000 that worked fine and cut thousands of holes. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a eskimo stingray. I iwas leary at first. It is the small light 1.3 hp 8″ with two quantum blades. I raced my buds eskimo barracuda with brand new turbo blades and he only beat me by about a second. The nice thing is its really light. I have put about 5 tanks of gas through it in a couple of weeks and I love it as well as the $179 price. I’ve heard really good things about strikemasters customer service but never had to use it. It always ran and ran and ran. A couple of weeks ago I broke the auger part of my friends above mentioned barracuda. Its about 3 years old. I called eskimo and the customer service rep actually drove a whole new bit to st paul for me. Thats good service as well.
    IF I had the $$ and had the chance at a deal like you mention, i’d say take it.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

?
    Thanks!

Can’t speak for those yellow jiffys but The Jiffy model 30 3 horse Ice auger is the most bullet proof and durable auger there is they don’t die….. Yes they are heavy which makes the 2 horse class much more popular.

You don’t need the 224 get the 8 inch lazer mag.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i also have a lazer mag xspress i put a 10″ bit on it and it cuts like a mad man ,only problem ive had is the recoil broke once , but other then that , no probs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.