When does your season end?

• fish4blue
    Holmen, WI

i called it quits two weeks ago when i went with amwatson and lntony2.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I usually call it quits when the warmer weather starts to show up. I am thinking that if i dont go this weekend, I won’t go at all for the rest of the season and have to wait until the water opens up.

shane

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I usually call it quits when the water is coming ove my boots trying to get on the ice

WeFish
    Fort Atkinson, WI USA

When I Can’t Walk On Water

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

As soon as the river gets open enough to put the boat in. That was 2 weeks ago. I am officially done with ice this year

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

March is usually my favorite month to ice fish for panfish. You can get some nice slabs and bull sunnies when the ice is dwindling. Less people fishing too. Ice out might be a little early this year though. Of course you can always go up to the border and find ice later in march or april too. Sometimes its a tough decision to ice fish or boat fish, take last saturday for example.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hook and I fished perch on Mille Lacs on April 8th last spring! The lake started to break open one week later! We were fishing on ATV’s out around 2 miles………..

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I was the last truck to use Brevik Landing on Leech last year. The jump up onto the ice wasn’t too bad that morning, but sun and 40 degrees wiped out the shoreline ice during the day. It was about a 1 foot drop off the ice by shore that evening. I made it because I was giving ‘er heck and didn’t get hung up. Took out some cattails though.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Quote:

Hook and I fished perch on Mille Lacs on April 8th last spring! The lake started to break open one week later! We were fishing on ATV’s out around 2 miles………..

How thick was the ice then? Thats amazing

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

The last week of March or the first week in April is usually our last run on the ice. Using boards to get onto the ice is not out of the question. Being safe is important and lake knowlege is key to know whether the ice is safe or not. Ice fishing for panfish is usually the best when the water is running down the holes. It is not unusual to have your original 8″ hole increase is diameter during these days! Hopefully the ice will last that long.

Take care!

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

How thick was the ice then? Thats amazing

We had about 24″s of honeycombed ice. We fished earlier in the day knowing the ice would remelt as the sun got higher.
    Late ice is a great time to collect firewood too. We pull the trailer around picking up blocking left behind. God how we love to burn fires!!!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I hear you on the fires. Everytime I go riverfishing I always gotta have a fire, relax and watch the poles.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I used to ice fish into April…..

That was until last April 4 when I fell through on my favorite Wisconsin hunny hole.

Did you know an Fl 18 will float back to the top if the battery is unhooked….

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

i only stop fish in that breif period in which the ice is to thin

krisko
    Durand, WI

Who quits fishing? I go all the time no matter what. The only time my season ends is when I forget to get my license April 1st.

fishingnut11
    Brainerd, Mn

I’m done fished up on till friday i had enogh..

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Pulled the Otter out of the back of the truck yesterday. Found a half digested minnow, another minnow shrunken to the bone, 1/4 jug of buterscotch scnapps (not my brand), and a flashlight with dead batteries. With this stupid 50 degree weather my ice fishing has come to an end for this season.

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

I squeeze the very last ounce out of the ice I can. Most of my late ice fishing is done on the river so I’m almost always in shallower water. Was down to Wabasha Saturday and a local harbor still had a foot and a half of ice. Usually it’s a matter of getting on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.