Pleasant Creek 2/11

• VikeFan

I fished Pleasant Creek for the first time this winter today–there was still about 10″ of good ice along the dam less than forty feet from the pumping station.

As for fishing, I caught a couple of seven-inch bluegills, and some Macbride-size bluegills. The bite was slow but steady, and the fish were being finicky–they would take quite a while to check the bait out before striking.

Anyhow, I think I will be out along the dam this Sunday at about 7:00 a.m., fishing in the Bassmasters fisheree, if any of you are going to be out there.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Vike:

Thanks for the report! Good to hear that the ice is holding up over there. I got out this morning and fished a pit. Caught some dandy gills within 90 minutes of first-light, then they went into finicky-finesse mode. I think I tried every jig in my pack, but all they would do is gently mouth it and then toss it. Yellow with red eyes worked best for me. The water was clear enough to permit sight fishing, which helped, but you still had to quickly set that hook before they spit the whole works out.

I fished Macbride and PC quite a bit this season and have generally been dissapointed. My best day so far was today on this pit and then about a month back over at Central near Monty. Everyone has been wondering why the bite is so slow at the big lakes, I wonder if it could be lack of disolved oxygen? For whatever reason, about the only thing that has been consistent for me has been better success on smaller waters.

Before it all melts, I may want to try some Cedar and Wapsi backwaters. After that, it will be time to work the dams on the Wapsi between Anamosa and Independence for northerns and ‘eyes…

Regards,

Joe

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Joe, did you guys find any deeper water?

Sure seems like we swiss-cheesed that pond pretty good while you were in your tent. I’d bet I drilled 40 holes. All in all, there were only two spots where I caught any fish, and the bigger ones were all right back where we started.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Nothing deeper than you guys found earlier. The bottom was pretty flat and featureless in those deeper areas (>8′) that I attempted to survey as well, with no structure to speak of. You did drill a lot of holes dude , from my tent, it sounded like a chainsaw carvathon!

After popping 1/2 dozen cuts in that supposed deeper trough and not seeing any fish on the vex or structure when I peered down the holes, we did in fact end up back where I took you first thing in the morning and iced a few dinks before heading home.

Morning or evening are probably key, or perhaps an overcast day. Next time, I think instead of looking so much for deeper water we just look for log piles. I’m not sure there are any crappies in that pit, but we know there are bull gills in there and they like the sticks.

Regards,

Joe

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Joe,
    Just to let you know I stopped at Anamosa yesterday. Water was up a bit and stained. I wouldn’t really call it muddy. But I saw a few small walleyes caught on cranks over in the back swirl over by the wall. Wasn’t close enough to see what colors they were using though.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Joe, I used to live in MV, have you ever fished the quarry there? I did a little this year, did ok…thanks,
    luke haugland

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Luke:

What quarry? I will not respond on the grounds of self-incrimination.

You know what else Luke? If you are who I think you are, I think I live in your family’s old house. Your parents rented the place here at 1001 West Mount Vernon RD before I bought it in October of ’03 when my family and I moved out here from Maryland. Your cat, Blue, is doing very well. He comes in at night and spends his days mousing on the acreage. He gets along really well with my dog and kids. I’m afraid we may have him spoiled a bit, as he’s put on some weight. Small world. Of course, you might not be the “Luke” I am thinking of, in which case, you probably think I am crazy!

I see you’ve recently registered on this site. Its a great bunch of guys. I’ve learned a lot and made some great friends. We’ll be watching for your posts. Also, I usually have an open seat in my boat from time to time when I head out to pools 9-16 on the big river. Welcome to the IDA brotherhood!

Regards,

Joe

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

There’s still Ice at Pleasant Creek about 8″ straight out from the dock. However the fishing was slow for me.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Barb; did you see any body fishing along the Dam?
    I’m the extra Vexilar guy Welcome to the site

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

I saw people fishing close to the beach area cove. I’m debating on trying there one more time this weekend. I think I’ll head up to Clear Lake Monday or Tuesday.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yep, thats me, and that is Blue…its good to “meet” you…
    Well, then you know what quarry I am talking about. Shoot me a private message if you have been doing well. I have some info too…
    luke

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.