Aitkin, MN

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any one been on the ice around Aitkin lately. Looks like I will be up there over the weekend. Planning on spending some time on Dam lake. Then maybe some time on Gun or where ever else the weekend brings me. Any one else fishing up there this weekend?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Dam is a nice little lake. I fished it the day before opener last year. Nice panfish, and bass. Rumor has it is has monster crappies in it if you can find them. The bait shop in Malmo seems to have the scoop on that lake due to the locals. Might want to stop in there. I am talking about the cafe/bait/gas station on the West side of 47.
    Tuck

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dont hold your breath for them big crappies on that lake. We have not ssen them in a few years. The crappies in there are most likely just like the rest of the lakes in the area. Average sized fish with a few larger ones mixed in at times. Nothing like I see some of you guys pulling out of the river back waters.
    Dam is still a good lake.. If a guy wants action go for some pike fishing.The size of the pick is average also. (#2) But the action can be great. Ther has been plenty of days for us that put lots of these small pike on the ice for us. It is a good lake for drilling alot of holes along a weed edge and start jigging for pike. Make sure your rods are up for it because them little guys just love to slam a spoon. Used to have problems with them backlashing the rattle reels in the fish houses.
    Think we will stick to the crappies and bottle bass this weekend. The Lake View Inn is suposed to be remodeled and reopened now. Time to start making some new memories there.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

MIKE W,

I will be going to our private lake on Sunday for a Tip-Up extravaganza. If you don’t mind strict catch and release and running your rear off chasing flags, it’s a pretty good time. Bringing the grill and the hounds for some on ice recreation, if you want to give it a try, and can keep a secret I would be willing to show you where we’re at. PM me if your interested.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the offer Stradic. Loks like plans might of changed again. Might be on pool 2 in the morning after all. Maybe back to Aitkin next weekend.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Stradic how did you do ove r the weekend?

It is tuesday night and I am up n Aitkin until thursday morning. We found a few crappies on Dam lake tonight off of Lymans point. Not much to brag about. Usual pattern. Smaller fish schooled up around 30′ deep. Larger fish coming thrue about 10′ higher. Very picky fish tonight. Jigging the fish in and then dead sicking the line seemed the way to go. Might of done a little better fishing tonight if I wasn’t in such a hurry to have got up here. Managed to leave my small selection of ice fishing tackle at home. Ended up hand lineing the fish that I caught. Way t go Mike.

As I was standing out on the ice after dark tonight stairing at the brite stars and not hearing even a sound in the distance I was thinking about how much I missed these mid week Ice fishing trips that where common to me in my teen age years. Peace, quite and being alone is so under rated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.