BAIT NO BAIT

• pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

I HAVE DONE MORE ICE FISHING THIS YEAR THAN THE LAST THREE PUT TOGETHER.
    THIS YEAR I HAVE TRYED PLASTICS FOR THE FRIST TIME ICE FISHING,NO LIVE BAIT AT ALL.
    THE PLASTIC I HAVE DONE THE BEST WITH IS THE POWER WIGLERS,I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SUNNIES AND CRAPIES,AND LIKE I SAID I HAVE NOT USED LIVE BAIT AT ALL.
    I MAY HAVE TO DOWN SIZE AT TIMES BUT I JUST BITE OFF PART OF THE WIGLER AND DOWN SIZE MY JIG.
    IT STAYS ON YOR JIG ON A MISSED BITE JUST LEAVE IT DOWN THERE AND GET THE NEXT LOOKER . BOTH SUNNIES AND CRAPPIES JUST LOVE THESE THINGS .GOOD BACK UP IF THERE IS NOT A BAIT SHOP OR YOUR BAIT HAS DIED.GIVE IT A TRY IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO .HAVE A SAFE REST OF THE YEAR ON THE ICE,I HOPE TO BE ON THE RIVER THE REST OF MINE.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Power wigglers are the little wax worm looking baits right?

I have tryed a few plastic baits over the last couple of years. Some of the summer time plastics for pan fish can be productive at times. Super doos baught me a few fish on lake of the woods last year. Even picked up a few eyes on mille lacs this year with hair jigs. I still havent been on a bite when the plastics have been the go to choice but they are interisting to fish with. Even if the fish dont hit some of these they seem more than willing to come in and take a good look at them. Once they are attracted in you can drop down a live bait and usually get the fish to bite.

gpalma

I’ve fished plastics for ten years and used to manufacture an ice-tail that is triangular in section, tapered to a whispy point and was 1.25″ long. Plastics work well in depths under 8-10′. In most every instance, you will catch more and larger average fish than the guys using meat…and I don’t care who’s the man fishing the meat.

Keys are: Trim tail to length depending on fish activity, fish the bait absolutely horizontal, keep movement sloooow, use 2# Tectan line, a sensitive spring (Bic lighter springs stretched slightly are very good), use fly fishing split shot (#8 & #6 depending on depth/wind), use #12 Mustad jig hooks for BG & #10 for crappie (#32760), keep the bait in motion. Pretty deadly system once you commit to learning it. Leave the meat at home and force yourself to learn how to fish it. I did and if the depth is under 10′ or so, will never use meat.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.