Pleasant Creek 02/05/05

• kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

My son joined me for a leisurely late start this morning over at PC. Ice conditons were good, with 10-12″ of clear ice under the slop, but with the warm spell of the last 2 days, its wet and sloppy on the topside. In this warmth, some thickness will be lost for sure. My auger sank a good 1/2″ into the ice as it sat outside my fishtrap.

About the only thing positive to report was the weather. We marked fish over structure out the south (main) ramp but could not elicit any interest. We got skunked.

However, it was a nice time in some spectacular weather. Some good father-son bonding (eating junk-food, playing cards) made up for the pathetic fishing. No one else in the vincinity appeared to be scoring either.

We tried minnows, waxies, and euros tipped on a multitude of jigs, to no avail. To be fair, the time of day we fished is typically not the best (in my experience), unless the day is cloudy or just before a frontal passage. Other than rivers, it seems over the years I have done better in the lakes when fishing morning and evening. 10AM-2PM on a bluebird day has never been a prime; time-hard or soft water.

I think its time for me to explore some Cedar River backwaters and other out-of-the-way places…

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

herb
    6ft under

I wonder if Iowa waters are in the winter doldrums now. I spent half of today at rathbun and 3 of us only managed some small crappies. I should say the guys I was with. I had 2 dinks and that was it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.