8″ or 10″ Auger?????

• ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Starting to give some thought to purchasing a Strikemaster Lazer auger. At first I was thinking that an 8″ hole would be plenty as that is the size I have used for about 10 years now. But my father is thinking of purchasing a Vexilar and if he does….should I be thinking about the 10″ Lazer?

Ducks

John Luebker

Does a Vex fit down a 10 inch hole? I heard they are the perfect size? I have a 6 inch and use my vex in it all the time. though if a fish feels big I pull out the transducer. The past weekend I fished with a friend that had an 8 inch and that is the size I am going to go to. 2 inches makes a big difference. I believe there is another post going around with about the same questions as well. If I have time I will try to find it and link it to yours.

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Thanks for the link. It looks like an 8″ hole should be plenty for a Vex and a crappie.

Ducks

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Scott,go with the 8″,you’ll be happy with it.Unless your after big northern or target trophy eyes I see no need for a 10″ auger.Plus those 10″ holes are a perfect place for the little ones to step into.
    Ryan Hale

bigesox

I don’t think there’s a valid reason why anyone would want a 10″ auger. The large holes they make are dangerous, especially to pets and kids. Most if not all who post on this board will never catch a fish through the ice that can’t fit through an 8″ hole. Using simple math, the circumference of an 8″ hole is a bit over 25 inches. When was the last time you caught a walleye through the ice with a 25 inch GIRTH? There have been 50 pound (not 50 inch, 50 pound) muskies safely caught and released through 8″ holes. I personally have caught and released two 40″ muskies (accidental catches while walleye fishing) through a 6″ hole. Neither was any problem whatsoever. In fact, the girth of the recently caught (Jan 4, ’05) world record (ice fishing division) 18.06 pound 36.5 inch walleye in Nipawin, Saskatchewan was measured at 22.5″ and would have easily fit through an 8″ hole. Circumference of even a 6″ hole is almost 19″, again larger than the girth of just about any fish you’ll ever hope to catch through the ice.

Go with an 8″ auger, no question about it.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

10″ hole? Who ya trying to drownd?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Personally, I’ve found a 10 inch hole about right.

When I forget to bring my camera along…my head just squeezes down.

Welcome to the board Big Esoxs!

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

ive personally grown to hate 10 inch holes, put my leg in 2 times up to my waste, ruins ur whole day. i agree when are u going to get a fish that cant fit throught the hole. if it cant fit u can hold it till ya can make a hole that will fit haha

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I know a 8″ hole is big enough,but when it comes to bringing in walleyes that don’t won’t to cooperate,and northerns it makes it nice to have a 10″..

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Thanks for the replies guys. I really waste concerned about the size of the fish that was going to come up through the hole. I was more concerned about keeping the Vex cable as far from a spinning bluegill or crappie as possible. Read yesterday that one guy uses a 6″ auger and drills 3 holes. Puts his Vex down the middle hole and sets his Vex right over the hole. Saves space and doesn’t have to worry about tangling the cable. Makes sense to me. But I think Ryan and the rest of you guys that say an 8″ hole is the way to go are correct.

Ducks

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Quote:

10″ hole? Who ya trying to drownd?

Waxwormus Maximus!!

Ducks

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Big Esox!!!! Welcome to the IDA!!!!

From one ski hunter to another!!!!!!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Go with the 8″. I use a 7″ and a 8″. Both cut very fast and easy. I did try out a 10″ 224 this year just for testing but it did not cut. For guiding, I can’t use anything bigger than 8″. We cut to many holes in a day to use anything bigger. If you drill 200 holes in a day with a 10″ auger you are going to feell like…

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

Hey look at that big auger!
    Ha, he must tbe trying to compensate for something..

gregory
    Red wing,mn

they fixed the problem with the 10″ 224,its was the blades they got from there supplier,they just put new blades on and it fixed the problem..

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

Fished this weekend with a friend who has a ten inch auger. I have a five inch hand auger. We both complained about each other’s holes! Although a large hole can have advantages, like getting the fish’s head started up the hole, the smallest hole you can get away with will save you MANY more fish. Most ice fishermen that I’ve watched make the mistake of trying to hoist the fish out of the water and onto the ice. The loss of buoyancy provided by the water puts a whole lot more strain on your hook, line and the fish’s mouth, resulting in an increased chance of the hook dislodging at the surface. If this happens in a large hole, the fish will eventually get turned downward and get away. However, in a smaller hole he’s stuck, allowing you to grab it or, like I like to do, get my ice scoop under it. I my opinion, use the smallest hole you can get away with. It will increase your productivity. Plus, it takes less time and effort, and a smaller auger is more portable.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

If you can get away with a 5″ hole and stick your scoop down the hole when your pulling a up fish.you must have a small scoop.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Well for portable fishing I use an 8.

For my standard 10×20 on Mille Lacs which has 8 holes and doesn’t move more then once or twice a year I use a 10 inch so I can just chip them out each time and not ruin my auger redrilling. They shrink a little but are still fishable all year.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I use a Jiffy 9 inch. Steve

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

Five inch hole, five inch scoop. Since the end is plastic it is flexible and can be worked around the fish to get underneath it. Believe me, I do it all the time and it saves many fish that fall off.

Weasel
    WI,Onalaska

i don’t care what anyone says a 10″ auger is the bomb it works awesome for sight fishing and you lose less fish because they hardly ever hit the bottom of the ice when bringing them up.

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

an 8 inch auger is great for a vex. and carrpies and is the idle sizes for tip-up fishing

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

One thing I’ll say about using a 10 inch auger is this. If you have ever experienced fishing just after a fresh snow fall and you find a 10 inch hole. You may find yourself with a wet foot or even worse…a broken ankle from falling in the thing…
    yes you might get more fish started in the hole easier……but I think what Scott said about the more work involved an my negitive comments……an 8 inch is the only way to go. Just my 2 cents!

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

After reading the posts…..my concern for my fellow fisherman’s feet and ankles far out weigh my concern for tangling my vex. 8″ hole it will be. Thanks for all the input guys! Safety needs to come first…..IMHO.

Ducks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.