Snowmobiles for the GTG

• buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Hi,
    Just thought I would throw this out there so no one forgot.
    If you are not a WI resident and are bringing a snowmobile you will need to buy the WI trail sticker to avoid getting ticketed if we would get checked.
    I am bringing 1 maybe 2 sleds…if the second one runs.

If I remember right these are like $12-15 or so.
    John

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks Buckshot! I never would have thought of that!

What about 4 wheelers?

I ‘spose we could have Stickboy distract the officer with some indecent exposure… (that doesn’t sound good if I just left this post like that…the rest of the story is that he receive a $1300. ticket for urinating in public last week end. I have to rub it in…so to speak)

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I don’t know what the law on 4 wheelers is….might be the same.
    As for Stickboy…..at $100 an inch it probably would have been closer to $4.50.

herb
    6ft under

Buckshot, are you sure you need the sticker if running the ice on the Miss?

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I called the WI DNR and because the land we would be operating the snowmobile or ATV on is public, the trail pass would be required.
    The cost is $18.00.

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

Where does an out-of-stater get a trail pass for a 4 wheeler?

herb
    6ft under

If you backed up to the boat ramp and dumped off onto the ice there, like I plan to do, or pushed the atv to the ice, like I might do, then I wouldn’t need the sticker right? And like jimbo asked, where can a guy get a sticker on saturday morning?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I don’t remember the ATV regs……..

It seems like there isn’t one yet but your machine is required to be registered in your home state to be on public trails or ice. I can’t remember if it’s Michigan or Illinois but one of those two residents get away with not having a registration for their machine in WI because there is still no registration required in their home state.

IF there is an out of state tag required, I think you can get something issued and any gov’t office. I know in WI, if I buy a new ATV and want a sticker for it immediately, for an extra $3.00 added on to my registration submission, I can get one from the gov’t office right there on the spot.

Maybe those who issue licenses can also produce stickers? Just a thought……….

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Lets get back to Stickboy, that getting a ticket for making yellow snow is a joke right?

herb
    6ft under

Tom, most Canadians are very health concious. When they eat snow, they like it to be white. So—–I tend to believe it’s not a joke.
    My atv is already registered in Ioway. Let’s ride.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have a call into the Local Warden(retired) He will get back into town tomorrow night and he will give us the final word on the trail permit issue…I will post it in the Complete IDA Pool 10 Ice GTG Info..

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Quote:

Lets get back to Stickboy, that getting a ticket for making yellow snow is a joke right?

Yes thank you it is a joke I herd (fell for) this week end.
    I got a ticket for indecent exposure while peeing in public. The fine was $1300.00 dollars.

$100.00 an inch .
    A friend of mine told me that joke this week end and I “lmao”. I felt briank would fall for this one hook line sinker and bobber so I told him. So just to clarify agiain it is a joke .

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

As for Stickboy…..at $100 an inch it probably would have been closer to $4.50.

I will no longer be taking fishing or any other trip with buckshot for by this remark I think he is sneeking a peek

I dont need my wife to kick his again either.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Actually, the joke was that the officer gave Stickboy $3. and sent him on his way…

WI just had a law change for out of state ATV’s. It’s in PDF format other wise I would paste the portion that we are talking about here.

It appears to me that it’s an $18. for the trail pass…even if your on the ice. They can be purchased at any place that sells fishing/hunting licenses.

Here’s the link…to the ATV laws in WI

This covers IL and MI non registration too…

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Gianni!

There was a piece one the first page…to the right I think, that talked about being registared for public property (including ice).

lalnx
    New Albin, Ia Pool 9 Minnesota Slough

As for Iowa residents a trail pass should not be required as you are riding on the federal boundry water? or does the postion of the main channel dictate that you are in wisconsin? By the way if you are not wisconsin resident you CAN register your atv or snowmobile in the state of wisconsin. All they ask you for is the county of use. This is perfectly legal and by the way it only costs $30 for 2 years. I do this to be able to ride Wisconsin trails and when I ride in my home state (Iowa) I have a legally registered atv in a state that does not require a trail pass. Kind of hard to require a trail pass for out of state riders who come to ride our no existant trail system! Wisconsin can have my money.

P.S. I do nearly 100% of my snowmbile riding in SE Minnesota, guess where my sleds are now registered

herb
    6ft under

It stated you can get these passes wherever hunting and fishing licenses are sold. Is this for sure?
    I have no problem with paying the money, I just want to be able to get the pass on short notice.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I,m with you Herb!!

herb
    6ft under

No replies. I guess I’ll check when I get up there today. Something tells me it may not apply to Boundary waters, but———————————-

lalnx

my last post didn’t stick, so I’m trying again. I have found in the past (snowmobiling) unless you were up north it was a pain in the — to find trail passes. not all places that will sell you a fishing license will have the trail stickers. That is mainly why I just register my stuff where i use it most. Iv’e yet to find a place in SE minnesota to buy thier trail stickers, every time I would ask someone no one knew. So last week I just registered them there. Sorry this doesn’t help you guys much though for this weekend.

lalnx

Additionally I would assume with no ATV trail system near PDC It will be very difficult to find trail permits. Maybe len @ falling rock bar would know. Maybe the friendly DNR officer that asks you where yours is could point you in the right diirection.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

When I contacted the DNR office I told them I would be in PDC and just using it for getting to and from the spot I will be fishing.

They told me and I quote “since it is WI public land the permit would be required for both ATV and snowmobiles.”

The lady I was talking to put me on hold and went and asked for clarification when I told her the specific situation.
    Finding the permits in northern WI is easy….it might be a challenge down there.
    It will be interesting to see what the Warden has to say.
    Ecnook…when you talk to him if the permit is required can you ask him where in that area we would be able to find them??
    JB

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

I just bought an atv and do 50% of my fishing in WI. This thread made me dig into it and find that I needed on of these trail passes to ride on the lakes. Just bought one from Fleet Farm in Hudson if that helps any. Kind of sucks that the thing expires June 30th, but I’ll get a full year out of the next one.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Cabelas has them and they open at 8am…I will let you all know what Denny says tonight !!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I just spoke to my “connection” at Gander Mountain, and you can buy them anywhere the have the MLS system, IE gander can get you your WI fishing license, and appropriate stickers for trail riding you ATV’s and Snowmobiles, no need to wait til you get down there, pick on up before hand.
    I’m still undecided if I’m going or not.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Nick….

you are exactly correct !!!

thanks

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I just got off the phone with the Retired Warden from PdC..

Here is what he says about the need for trail passes on the ice..

NO

You do not need a trail pass for either the Sleds or 4-wheelers…

You can NOT cross any islands so you MUST stay on the ice…

Ill. res must have their sleds or 4-wheelers registered (they do not register in Ill.)

And Iowa res. must have theirs registered as recreational..

There you have it!!!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for checking.
    Kinda makes you wonder why we would get differing stories from 2 sources.
    JB

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.