Homemade Rod Holders

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I bought an Eskimo Quick Flip III with the bench seat. I was fishing yesterday and was tinkering with how to make some rod holders to attach to the bench but not be in the way when it was time to pack up. I just made a couple of prototypes to try out on my next trip but I thought I would pass on my ideas. I made two holders out of some old C clamps I had hanging around and two more out of a couple of Menards 99 cent spring clamps. I used some old PVC pipe I had stuck in the rafters in the garage. On the spring clamps I drilled a 3/4″ hole in the PVC pipe and just slid it on the handle of the spring clamp. I tested them on my workbench and they seem to hold a rod just fine. I only used about a 2″ piece of PVC for each so they don’t stick out very far but they are just deep enough to hold a rod butt. The C Clamp holders seem the strongest and sturdiest of the two types. They clamp right on the edge of the bench seat and I plan on centering them to fit my seating arrangement. I will attach a picture which shows how they are put together.

John Luebker

They look great. Please post some pics on how they all fit together. I also purchased an eskimo and I have been thinking of some possible ways to put a rob holder on it. Great ideas. I might have to explore some of them

Thanks

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

John – Here is what they look like when they are hooked to the bench seat.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

John – Here they are with rods in the holders.

John Luebker

Yup that is what I think I am going to do. I was just going to drill something into the bottom of my seat but I like these a lot better becuase you can move then or take them off if you want. Great idea and thanks for sharing.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nice. Here’s something my buddies and I made. We love them.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I made a few of these for about $10 in PVC. They work great. Light weight and will not tip over or go down the hole.

-J.

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Hey Jon, Do you put any weight in the bottom legs? Or do they stay up on their own?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Anyone looking for a inexpensive way to have ice fishing rod holders? Check this thread out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.