How to survive if you fall through the ice

• Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Hey, check out the website below. It demonstrates how to survive if you fall through the hard water… It’s got good information that I don’t remember seeing posted here before. Always good to keep this in mind, even for those who spend a lot of time on the ice(never take safety for granted).

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

That is a very informative video. I sent it to my Grandson.

Thanks
    JIM

27olemil
    Iowa

Good review. Thanks for the post! 27

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Excellent! Thank you. Thanks, Bill

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Several years ago I went through the ice in 40′ of water while ice fishing. I did have a friend with and he was busy getting rope of one of the boats that was near where we were fishing. I also gave him a knife to cut that rope before I went across that portion of the ice. Call me Stupid!!! I still went, after all we had been crossing that piece of ice many times before, but it was trecherous ice.

Before and after watching the video, I know I was lucky to get out. But the thing that amazed me the most about my experience was that I actually floated from the the air trapped in my clothing. Now I didn’t stay in the water like the good professor did, but I did a scissors kick like I was getting out of a pool or onto a raft and the ice held and I was able to roll away from the hole and get away from the hole in the ice.

There were two possibilties that prevented my head from going under and I just don’t know which kept it above the water. First I was carrying my power auger on my shoulder and and it might have kept my head above the surface or subconsciously (sp.) I did a scissor kick as I entered the water and that kept me above the water. The angle of my entry may have kept me vertical enough to do that.

Another thing that I noticed was that with all of my clothes on, only from just below my knees to my boots were soaking wet. Other than the outside clothing, the rest of my clothes were dry. Go figure!!! Many people asked me how thick the ice was where I went through and I still don’t know the answer to that question.

Always carry ice picks over your shoulders cause you do have time!!! I hope nobody from this forum ever goes through. Be safe out there!!!

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.