This place is draggin’

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Allright, since the Iowa board is quiet as a [self-censored] on Easter Sunday, I thought I’d start a topic that everyone can get along with.

How’s the fishing been this winter?

No spots, not even lake names. Just “Have you had any success?” For me, the answer is no, I have had lousy luck. If it weren’t for the dink gills, I’d be totally fishless. Now that’s not to say I’ve been trying all that hard – I think I’ve been out three times is all, and all on one lake. When I’m out, though, I’m quick to drill lots of holes and look for fish. I’ve tried to cover some pretty big areas, and a lot of them are in places where I’ve had good success in prior winters.

Still no fish.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

My ice fishing season has been very good so far. Lots of crappies, none really all that big though. Last week I pounded a 24 inch walleye. Biggest walleye I have caught in 2 years. And I went up to Brainerds Gull lake 2 weeks ago for some good action on walleyes. Nothing too big but between my group we caught about 20 in one day. So needless to say I am very happy about how this season has gone, and hoping that it keeps up. Good luck to all.

VikeFan

My ice fishing season was very good for largemouth, bluegill, and Northern in SE Minnesota. Lots of 8-9″ bluegills, my biggest bass was 18″, and I got five Northern over 30″.

Not so good for bluegill and crappie in SE Iowa. A few decent crappies mixed in with a lot of tiny bluegills in three trips down here.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Only been out twice on a local pond, caught a handful of crappies, a gill and two white bass. I think I’ve been resting up from my hours spent in a tree w/ single digit weather . To all the deer .

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

went out for the first time tonight. My dad got 2 11′ crappies and had a few other hits. I caught 2 bullheads, the darn things had the nerve to come through suspended i thought they were crappies when i saw them on the vexlar, and 1 white bass and had a few other hits.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I’ve got Crappies mounted on a branch, but for the life of me I’m tring to picture
    2 (two) eleven foot Crappies, why that’s huge!!! I suppose you’ll
    be spending the rest of the winter at the sports shows.

Tomorrow is the Iowa Out doors gtg at Mcbride, I plan to be there at 4:00 AM If the snow
    don’t get to bad.

live2fish
    Carroll Iowa

Well, its been a pretty fair year so far, seemed forever before we got safe ice, but no complainin now. Wifey is now oficially as hooked on hard water as open water fishin. New shack, new auger, started the season off nicely. We,ve been fairly consistently finding nice big bull gills on okoboji to look at if not catch. Been averaging 20 or so per trip we’ve caught. Not one northern yet this year, although we have seen some pigs. Sunday plannin on headin up again if weather calms down. Be safe everyone! John and Christy

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

I’ve got Crappies mounted on a branch, but for the life of me I’m tring to picture
    2 (two) eleven foot Crappies, why that’s huge!!! I suppose you’ll
    be spending the rest of the winter at the sports shows.

lol. I wont be at the sportsshow cause i am having trouble hauling them plus i cant find a taxidermist with a eleven foot mold yet

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

ASIDE OF FARM PONDS, THE FISHIN AROUND THE LOCAL LAKES HAS REALLY DIMINISHED HAVE MADE A COUPLE TRIPS TO BRUSHY CREEK WITH GOOD SUCESS ON GILLS & CRAPPIE. YOU KNOW THE VEX TELLS NO LIES, THE FISH ARE THERE, THEY ARE JUST SO STUBBORN TO BITE. HOPE THE SECOND HALF OF WINTER IS GOOD TO YOU.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

eyetracker, got any secrets on the Crappies over to Brushy. Or is it just being lucky and getting in the right place at the right time.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I fished with Ted Peck and Dave Koonce Thursday over on the river near Desoto and the crappies were on the chew. Final tally was 45 – 50 slabbers with a good number of them 11″ – 14″. If the inland lakes continue to be stinkers, head for the backwaters. Check out Mr. Peck’s last fishing report for the details. Hopefully Koonce will toss up some pics from that day on the ice. He had some nice photos.

I hope to see you all the the GTG this coming weekend. The bite should be decent.

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

SA, BRUSHY IS TOUGH TO PATTERN, HOWEVER THE MAGIC DEPTH SEEMS TO BE 26′. FISH ARE ALLWAYS ON THE BOTTOM FOR SOME REASON. SPIKES OR WAXIES IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. FOR SOME REASON I CANT GET ANY THING TO GRAB A MINNOW. FISH THE NORTH END NEAR THE BIGGEST TREES YOU CAN GET ON, THIS IS HARD SINCE THERE IS A PERMANANT ON NEARLY EACH ONE. WILL BE THERE SAT 28TH ALL DAY. GOOD LUCK!! OH YA GLOW IS HOT!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I’ll probably be there that day to as long as it isn’t to windy. I have caught a few crappies there but can’t get on any #s. About a dozen is my best through the ice at Brushy. I’ll give that big tree thing a try nest time out. Thanks

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Is the GTG getting moved up a pool to Desoto then or is Koontz still looking on pool 10.

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

very good ? can someone tell us? R U going SA? how about you rick b.? I forgot about that, brushy may have to wait

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Pool 10 should be fine…I have time on Tuesday and Wednesday…My guess is that we will be in one of three places…NW corner of Gremore, Little Missouri or Big Missouri…I have been catching fish in all three places but I like to wait till the last minute to TRY and get the best of all three…

I look forward to seeing you there !!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Last year we crunched the crappies but good in the early AM out of Lil’ Missouri. It did slow by 11 AM after all those feet pounded around over their heads for a couple hours so it won’t hurt to be there early for the fish and stay later for the food and camraderie.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I think I will go I forgot about it until I read James’ post. Brushy has been disapointing me the last couple trips this year anyway.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I nailed a mess of crappie and gillies Mon. on a local pit but most were to small to keep. Alot of fun though on #2, brought home about 10 crappies.From noon to 2pm they liked plastic and from 2 to 3pm waxies were the ticket.
    I seen a really cool thing though, two Amish guys were out there really into it .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.