jiggin a half minnow for eyes?

• dafooge
    canastota,new york

hey guys,, this is the story, i found a drop off zone it goes from 14-24 ft i set up over it and was jiggin a 1/8 rattling jig with a stinger and a small minnow, i caught two eyes one 18 and one 22,, ok good so far right? wrong i had so many swim in and look ats it was driveing me crazy,, the lx3 was blinking solid red for most of the day arg,,lol,,,the bite here is very finakie, should i downsize when this happens? cut the minnow in half? slow the jiggin down?,,,thanks dafooge

scottsteil
    Central MN

Go with a 1/8 ounce jigging spoon and only the minnow head. Work each fish individually. When you get the attention of one on your LX-3, slowly pull it away from the fish. The higher you can get that fish to come off the bottom, the better chance you will have to make it commit.

You will find a point where the fish will not come any higher, make a mental note of that spot. Keep working each fish up, stopping occasionally to give them a chance to bite. Don’t be affraid to hold that spoon dead still for a while. If the fish loses interest, give the spoon a couple jigs and start working them up again.

dafooge
    canastota,new york

thats good solid advise scott and i thank you,,,when the fish is staring at the spoon should i reel it up one turn? or just raise the rod up?just worried about the hookset if it does hit,,and one more thing, i noticed you post quite a bit of marcums prouducts on here,,do you have a lxi laying around? thanks again dafooge

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Don’t be afraid to change colors too!!!!!!!

Last weekend, I spent an hour finding the “magic color” for negative sunnies to bite. I found one jig where they would eat…….ALL of my other panfish jigs, the fish just ignored!!!!!!!!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Yes, I have a couple LX-i’s still. Send me a PM.

I generally don’t reel, just lift the rod tip. Once I pause and they don’t take it, then I “reel down” Start the same process again.

Color can very very important at times. I am guessing you tried a few different colors, if not, you will want to change the variables some.

dafooge
    canastota,new york

hammerd silver seems to be hot and copper

dafooge
    canastota,new york

pm sent…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.